New
Find
Notify
Tools

New uses for Beagle tape
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It has been a common practice to use masking or electrical tape to protect the metal when fitting handgun grips or stocks to rifles. Last night I used the .003 aluminum tape to protect the frame of a Smith and Wesson while I fitted a pair of micarta grips that had alot of overhang. When pressed down the tape fills each detail of the metal almost like plating. I used a Cratex abrasive cone on the dremil to dress the grip down to the frame. The tape is tought stuff, because it never tore or gave away even when in full contact with the tool. Being only .003 I got a very close fit of material and metal. Far better than I could get with masking or electrical tape, neither of which is near as strong.

I can see lots of use for this stuff in rifle stock work. A layer on the bottom of the barrel when glass bedding the barrel channel, when removed would give a perfect uniform .003 free float. Try doing that by hand!

To shim a scope base, just set the base on the sticky side, trim around the base with a knife, punch out the screw holes and you have a .003 shim. You could use as many layers as you need.

This stuff has lots of use in gun work beside shiming moulds.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Charger! ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you're deep in Tejas, but I'd like to offer this as a compliment - Yankee Ingenuity! Job well done! My roll just became more vaulable, and I might even use it up in my lifetime. No more giving away ANY snippets. Go get your own. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is an excellent tip, thanks for sharing it with all of us.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, you fellows better not let these ideas out, next thing you know Martha Stewart will be baking cakes and things with it. She may even use it to increase the bore of her cookie molds <G>

Ed

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
believe it or not on commercial jet aircraft it is called "speed tape" or "500mph tape" and used at line stations to cover small holes and slight damage temporarily till the sheet metal guys make permanent repairs. It's a little stickier version of the a/c tape. Nick

Posts: 29 | Location: Buffalo New York | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Beagle Tape? Original purpose is to hold beagles together?