New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing large bullets.......help
 Login/Join

<ranb>
posted
I am casting .512" 975 grain bullets for my bmg and 510 whisper. I decided to invest in a used lyman 450 press because Lee does not make a .512" sizer. Unfortunately, I just found out the lyman 450 will not accept bullets more than 1.5" inches in length. Will the Star or RCBS sizers size long bullets? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Randy

<marrfam>
posted
The Magma/Star will but just barely. Lee will make a push through sizer for about 30 dollars.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ran

What do they run as cast?

Under .515, I'd give them a go as is.

As has been mentioned, the Lee pushthrough on a custom order is your best bet.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lubing bullets for the 50 BMG! Wow!

I shoot pretty long bullets for the 45s, the longest being the 570 grain Gunn bullet, measuring 1.430 long.

I lube/size these in a SAECO sizer. The bullets are too long for any nose punch to be used at all, but the machine will accept them easily with the nose punch removed: Simply leaving the punch out and using the counter sunk hole to ram the bullets into the die. It does require that the bullet has a fairly long nose ahead of the driving bands to fill all the grooves.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy,
I can feel your pain, Is your mould a NEI by chance? My NEI doesn't cast those big boys but I will probably look into having one made in the next year. A Fellow caster from work has a few dropped from one of those. My sizers are a RCBS and an older Lyman 45 that was given to me. I need to get the pot fired up and drop a few 500 gr Boolits for my 500 A-Square in order to be right for the 2003 Cast Boolit Shoot in nevada. Let us know what you end up doing...45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
<ranb>
posted
My mold is a brass one from Cast Bullet Engineering in Australia. About $65 shipped to WA. It works ok, not as nice as my NEI 375 mold though. It casts a 975 grain bullet that is about 2" long. I use it in my 510 whisper and have run a few through the BMG also. I have a Lee sizer on order now. The 450 press is back in the box and will stay there until I find a use for it someday.