New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy 35 caliber molds?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I haven't been able to follow all the postings on shooters, but since many of you are here now, have there been any new developments on options for a 280 gr mold other then the otherwise unobtainable 3589 358009??? Inquiring mind with a 350 Rigby wants to know.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PaulH
Try talking to this mold maker, he might be able to make what ever you need in a 357 heavyweight.

Mountain Molds

Posts: 70 | Location: USA,CO. | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
anybody here, have experience with mountain molds,good,bad,ugly?i emailed them about a 325-335gr gc-.475 cal mould

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I believe I live in the same town as him. I've e-mailed him and I'm waiting on a reply. Although I'm a novice caster, I could see about going by his shop and looking at some products. Maybe I could see about casting on a couple of different molds to see how they release, fillout and measure. Then I could report back here. It looks like a H*ll of a deal to get custom dimesions at a reasonable price. I'm thinking about a 500 or 600gn 45-70 mold with a long nose to fit my BFR revolver.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered 2 of his molds in brass today. Dan was real accomadatin'on my designs. Will let you all know how they work as soon as I try em out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Y'all have about another day on this one:

3589 Hollow Point mold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7308&item=1985941888

at $63 now.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DoubleJK,
Were you able to contact Dan using the email on his site? I tried but got a message of no such address back. Want to try to talk him in to making a couple of .380-.381 molds, also in brass. I sent the message by puny express, but email would be better and faster and more reliable and....

Thanks,
Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ernie
I am able to get ahold of Dan at this address most of the time. If it comes back undelivered just send it agian.

mountainmolds@mcleodusa.net

or this one.

danmariasdad@mcleodusa.net

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
mountain molds returned my email in less than 12 hours,ordered 2 molds said would take about a week [Big Grin] 1-.475 335wfngc,1-.475 435 wfnpb

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DoubleJK and 475/480. The address on the website is slightly different than the one DoubleJK gave. I'll try that one (John's) and see what happens. He's only five hours or so from Elko County, and those molds look good.
Best to all,
Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent Dan an e-mail today enquiring about a 348 mold. He replied very quickly and says he is going to work on it and may have it figured out in a few days. I hope he does well cause he's obviously trying!

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent Dan an email using DOUBLEJK's addy and he replied very quickly. If the molds are as good as they look and as good as his attention to business seems to be, I think we have a winner here. I can think of more than a couple I would like to order. Thanks for the help.

God save the Republic,
Ernie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan sent me an email last night and said one of my molds was done and he was working on the second one with shipping for this friday. That is fast service. Never have I gotten a custom mold in less than 2 weeks, more like 3 months. If they cast as good as they look this guy is going to be swamped with work. If your thinkin' about a mold you can't get from the big guys give Dan a try. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Mountain Molds Webpage

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H. Try David Mos in Arkansas. I don't have his snail mail addy, but the phone # is 1 (479-394-5895. A bunch of us from Shooters Talk got to gether and had him make us up a copy of 3589/358009. We called it the 3589I as we had a small flat placed on the nose for greatter smacking power. I understand he's in and out a lot so you may have to try several times to catch him.
I have one of these custom molds and it is excellent. It's showing real promise in my .35 Whelen.
IIRC, price for a single cavity was $100 and the double cavity was $125, and that included shipping.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
Paul H. Try David Mos in Arkansas. I don't have his snail mail addy, but the phone # is 1 (479-394-5895. A bunch of us from Shooters Talk got to gether and had him make us up a copy of 3589/358009. We called it the 3589I as we had a small flat placed on the nose for greatter smacking power. I understand he's in and out a lot so you may have to try several times to catch him.
I have one of these custom molds and it is excellent. It's showing real promise in my .35 Whelen.
IIRC, price for a single cavity was $100 and the double cavity was $125, and that included shipping.
Paul B.

What material is the mold made out of? I like the idea of adding a meplat to the bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The mold is made of iron, I believe. It is my understanding that he buys blank blocks from RCBS and makes his molds from them. I just got a web site for him yesterday. I'll try to link it to you via E-mail.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got an email from Dan at Mountain Molds and the 2 custom brass molds I ordered last Saturday are on UPS allready.
WOW thats service!!!!
They are a 220GR.FNGC 8MM a little smaller than Oldfellers and the other is a 180GR.WFN 357 combo 1PB, 1GC, in the same mold.
I will let ya all know hows they cast soons I get em'.
Check out his webpage they sure look to be goodun's. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mountain Molds

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!

My new brass molds from Dan at Mountain Molds showed up on the brown goody truck yesterday. Almost to purty to use. Today I fired up the pot and cast a bunch with em. They are a pleasure to use once you get the oil outa em, they didn't look oily, but till I sprayed em down with some contact cleaner I was gettin' frosty ~~wrinkled~~ boolits. They drop the boolits free with little or no tappin' on the hinge pin. He hit the weight I wanted within a grain on each mold too. It was ten days from talkin' about em with Dan to castin' with em. Bout the best service I've had in quite a spell. [Big Grin]