Find
Notify
Tools

cast bullet mould and diameter for 308 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would agree on the Lube. Not as good as it needs to be. Shootaway could order some good LARS lube or even add some Liquid Lube from LARS over his existing lube works too. Messy but works. I do this myself.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sized and lubed some bullets today with the RCBS rifle lube.This lube feels like automobile grease-very slippery and oily.I will try to shoot them this Friday.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clean your bore from the old fouling first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
Clean your bore from the old fouling first.

Yes,common sense.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Half of these I shot had the RCBS rifle lube.The group is smaller than the one I shot last week.It seems like the cleaning and/or the lube worked well.
I shot the group at 55yds offhand.

[URL= ]55yds/offhand[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you're making progress, but you shouldn't mix lube by shooting some of one lube and some of another lube because you need to isolate what the problem is. You need to shoot a bunch of just lube at a time. Another thing you shouldn't have to clean your barrel at all if everything is right. I've gone hundreds of rounds in a 308 without cleaning and no loss of accuracy because the lube I'm using, my sizing, my bullet, and my loading are all doing their job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well you're making progress, but you shouldn't mix lube by shooting some of one lube and some of another lube because you need to isolate what the problem is. You need to shoot a bunch of just lube at a time. Another thing you shouldn't have to clean your barrel at all if everything is right. I've gone hundreds of rounds in a 308 without cleaning and no loss of accuracy because the lube I'm using, my sizing, my bullet, and my loading are all doing their job.

How long one can go without cleaning or before a desired group size is maintained, depends a lot on the condition of the bore.A new bore can shoot accurately much longer before it needs to be cleaned.
Next time out I will shoot only the bullets with the RCBS rifle lube.This rifle has about 4-5000 thousand rds through it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm....don't know what to say about what you said without tramping on toes. All I can say is that I haven't found that to be true. I believe bores are much smoother today then yesteryear. Partly because many are button rifled which tends to be a tad smoother then cut rifling. Hammer forged is pretty smooth too, but none of this matters since most companies hone after rifling at least to a degree. I've seen some pretty rough old bores shoot amazing well with good accuracy too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for the results with just the RCBS lube shootaway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still waiting for the results with just the RCBS lube shootaway.

I have them loaded up.I shot some cast 308 that I wanted to get rid of last week.I should be at the range again this week.I will let you know very soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update and good luck shooting.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most factory barrels are hammer forged now; only the custom makers use button rifling. Except Savage.
And todays barrels are very smooth; I know of no major rifle maker who hones barrels, (meaning Lapping). Not necessary, and too expensive. Cut rifled custom makers, yes; because they need it.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not really but a barrel does need a slightly scratched finish.
about 800 grit is right.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the update and good luck shooting.

It will have to wait until next week again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know you live in Canada ..LOL.
the winter will change your lube,, just as a FYI.

we already have snow up high and as soon as the clouds clear off from the storm rolling through now,I bet we have it down on the lower mtns too.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
you know you live in Canada ..LOL.
the winter will change your lube,, just as a FYI.

we already have snow up high and as soon as the clouds clear off from the storm rolling through now,I bet we have it down on the lower mtns too.

Doesn't affect Joe's lube!!! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 50rds out of the less accurate of the two 308's I have.It looks as if there was a mediocre improvement in group size.I was shooting offhand.My left arm was recovering from an injury and it was the first time in a while that I did anything physical with it-therefore I did not have a strong hold.IMO there was an improvement in group size.I will try and shoot them again next week and report back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that the quality of the cast bullet itself has an affect on accuracy.Many of the bullets I am now shooting were cast in the beginning of the session when the mold was not hot enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am guessing that the quality of the cast bullet itself has an affect on accuracy.Many of the bullets I am now shooting were cast in the beginning of the session when the mold was not hot enough.

Yes sir you had better believe that bullet quality has much to do with accuracy. Besides the normal looking the bullets over for full fill out, flat bases, and no wrinkles, the real test for quality is to weigh them. If they vary more the .1 to .3 grains between bullets they aren't cast well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes sir you had better believe that bullet quality has much to do with accuracy. Besides the normal looking the bullets over for full fill out, flat bases, and no wrinkles, the real test for quality is to weigh them. If they vary more the .1 to .3 grains between bullets they aren't cast well.

How much can it affect accuracy?

one of us
posted Hide Post

A lot............ Until you can cast uniform same weight bullets, your accuracy level will be at 1.5 MOA at the best and well above at the worst. Test yourself and your ammo off a solid bench rest. Offhand doesn't tell you much of anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 2.1:

A lot............ Until you can cast uniform same weight bullets, your accuracy level will be at 1.5 MOA at the best and well above at the worst. Test yourself and your ammo off a solid bench rest. Offhand doesn't tell you much of anything.

1.5 MOA is still good for what I am using them for.If those questionable bullets were to group over 3 inches apart then I would not use them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my Krieger barrelled 308 today.It is the less accurate of my two 308's.Before shooting it, I gave the throat a scrubbing and removed some of the carbon ring(a ring I didn't know existed until I purchased a great borescope).All I can say is WOW.My first five shots offhand at 50yds went into an inch.I shot the 308 cast using the RCBS rifle lube.They shoot great!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot my Krieger barrelled 308 today.It is the less accurate of my two 308's.Before shooting it, I gave the throat a scrubbing and removed some of the carbon ring(a ring I didn't know existed until I purchased a great borescope).All I can say is WOW.My first five shots offhand at 50yds went into an inch.I shot the 308 cast using the RCBS rifle lube.They shoot great!!!

So then that RCBS lube seems better huh? I thought it would. That other lube you were shooting wasn't up to snuff for the loads you were shooting. There are other even better lubes out there. To name a few one is LBT Blue. If you order that get the soft version as that's all you'll ever need. The is look up LARS lube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So then that RCBS lube seems better huh? I thought it would. That other lube you were shooting wasn't up to snuff for the loads you were shooting. There are other even better lubes out there. To name a few one is LBT Blue. If you order that get the soft version as that's all you'll ever need. The is look up LARS lube.

Now that I got the rifle shooting I can try the beeswax and olive oil lube again and compare it to the group size I got yesterday.That should set things straight.As for now I know the RCBS rifle lube works well.That LBT Blue lube you suggest is quite expensive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to try this bullet with a reduced load in my 30-30 Win.mod.94.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems like the load worked well.I did not chronological it but the 10grs of Unique I uses shot accurate and had little recoil.I need to now adjust my sights for this round.Fun shooting with it at the range.It is nice to know that the accurate mould I have for my 308win will do for my Win. mod.94 lever action rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what the 308 cast loads do off the bench at 50yds open sights target slightly rocking.Load is 22grs H4895.
[URL= ]50yds off the bench/opensights[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I discovered yesterday that the cast 30-30 Win loads that I made using bees wax and olive oil lube are only accurate until about 30yds.At thirty they grouped in an inch and a half but at 50yds they were all over the place.I will try using rifle lube next time and if that doesn't work I'll try aa5744 instead of Unique powder.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would go back a step and evaluate the powders available and used then try varying the type of powder(s) and the amount to find an accurate load. I only saw one powder and load listed. Except for one case of pure luck, I have found that one has to search for that magic combo that gives the most precise group. Many other combos may provide perfectly adequate groups also.
Might as well try 5744 in the gun.

Do you have any of the pistol powders on hand.
Do you have access to the Lyman number two cast bullet loading manual?

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of good lubes out there that may well assist in providing better groups also.

Attached is (maybe it will work) Ranch Dog's 165 out of a full on military Type 99 with 4 different loads same powder 50 yards and on sand bags. Note what just a change in hold did for the one group.
https://ibb.co/NstS8pD

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I would go back a step and evaluate the powders available and used then try varying the type of powder(s) and the amount to find an accurate load. I only saw one powder and load listed. Except for one case of pure luck, I have found that one has to search for that magic combo that gives the most precise group. Many other combos may provide perfectly adequate groups also.
Might as well try 5744 in the gun.

Do you have any of the pistol powders on hand.
Do you have access to the Lyman number two cast bullet loading manual?

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of good lubes out there that may well assist in providing better groups also.

Attached is (maybe it will work) Ranch Dog's 165 out of a full on military Type 99 with 4 different loads same powder 50 yards and on sand bags. Note what just a change in hold did for the one group.
https://ibb.co/NstS8pD

There is a lot of info all over the web.

I tried 20grs of IMR 4064 in my 30-30 today and it shot really good out to 50yds.I also tried aa5744 but the load was too hot and the group was too large.Unique is hopeless out to 50yds but it is a fun load at 25yds.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
All I use anymore is Veral Smiths' LBT blue lube. It works for me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is starting to confuse me. In my experience in developing new/accurate loads I take a given load and change one thing at a time. Here we are trying different barrels/rifles, different lubes, different calibers, different techniques..offhand vs. bench and different powders. Seems like too much is going on.

Just my opinion...

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]308 offhand open sights 60yds[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're improving shootaway, keep up the good work. Record everything you do and experiment changing things to further improve.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're improving shootaway, keep up the good work. Record everything you do and experiment changing things to further improve.

Yes,practice makes perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]308 and 458[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first batch of powder coated loads.

[URL= ]308 win[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
dpcd I call them bullets too. Another forum does have bumper stickers with "boolits" on it. Possibly a couple of people in the town would know what it means and the rest would think what an idiot. I have seen signs of people that do backhoe work that say "backhole" work. I also saw a sign, someone selling boiled peanuts that read "bolied" peanuts. I put using "boolits" in the same category.

THIS! also saw a sign in someones front yard of a painted chicken and an arrow pointing to the house said EGG FOR SALE

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAGMA ENGINEERING told me that JAKES lube duplicates their old javalina lube, of which i have 3 or so left over from the old days. i don't know whether it does or not.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote