New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet lube question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just getting into casting bullets, and find the sizing and lubing are a pain.

I've heard that lead bullets don't have to be sized, and that you can lube them with some kind of powder lube and just load and shoot. Anybody I've asked about it doesn't seem to know (including the gun shops).

If it's been addressed here before, maybe you can direct me to the thread.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
What method are you using to lube and size? I find the Lyman 450 to be a fairly straight forward proposition for lube sizing.

Anyhow, in regards to sizing, many times one can get away with unsized bullets, and will find that they shoot more accurately then sized bullets. The caveat is, if you have a gun with a tight chamber, and/or your mold casts several thousands oversize, then the bullets will have to be sized. For instance, my buddy had a custom built 45 colt revolver, and he has to size the bullets .451", sized .452" the loaded rounds are difficult to chamber in the cylinder.

As far as lubing unsized bullets, you can use Lee liquid alox, some folks complain about the mess, but I've found it to be a good lubricant.

The other mehtod I've heard of, but not tried, is using Midway's spray on mold treatment. You simply spray the bullets with the moly lube, and when dry, load and shoot them.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
Paul H, is your 50/50 beeswax, lythium, measured by volume or by weight.also has anyone used lymans moly lube in stick form? thanks halfbreed, BTW, i am about to get all my gear together for casting, unless i get any more suggestions or catalogs. then i'm in the doghouse for sure!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fischer:
Just getting into casting bullets, and find the sizing and lubing are a pain.

I've heard that lead bullets don't have to be sized, and that you can lube them with some kind of powder lube and just load and shoot. Anybody I've asked about it doesn't seem to know (including the gun shops).

If it's been addressed here before, maybe you can direct me to the thread.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I've said often cast do not need sizing IF they'll chamber safely. If adequate neck clearance is available when shutting the chamber on a rd- sizing isn't needed. If they'll shoot that way depends-- on throating, hardness and various variables.

I've written also on moly coating here and other channels. Usually you still need to provide some form of gas seal-- which is a function of lube on a cast bullet. The archives at Shooters.com per the cast forum is full of articles on moly coating and using various fillers for seal. As the archives here get dumped regularly it's futile to log all that data here.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halfbreed:
Paul H, is your 50/50 beeswax, lythium, measured by volume or by weight.also has anyone used lymans moly lube in stick form? thanks halfbreed, BTW, i am about to get all my gear together for casting, unless i get any more suggestions or catalogs. then i'm in the doghouse for sure!

I use the, looks about right, method of measuring, which would be gross volume. If the lube is too soft, melt it down and add some beeswax. If it's too hard, then add some greese. I've yet to have it too hard, but have had it too soft. I think you could easily go 60% wax, 40% greese and be fine.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
Paul H, thanks for the quick reply! halfbreed