New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sources for tin, etc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The last of my tin beer coil tubing just went into the pot and I'm down to 50 pounds of scrap lino. I don't expect to ever find either of those again. What are you folks using to sweeten WW metal?

I'm cheap and a pretty good scrounger, but if I have to buy new tin and antimony, I will. Give me some ideas for what is out there as scrap and the address of anyone selling tin/antimony ingots for alloying on the East Coast of the US, if you will.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Bob S.>
posted
I have used solid core 37/63 solder that I bought from a craft place that caters to stained glass crafters. That's 37 % lead, 63 % tin. I haven't had to buy any in almost 10 years, so I'm not certain if it is still available ... lead is "evil", you know. :-/

Resp'y,
Bob S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recently been blessed with about ten lb. of pure tin by a friend. When not so fortunate I bite the bullet and buy lead-free solder (95% tin, 5% who cares.) It can be found in any hardware store now that lead has been declared worse than radioactive. The good news is that almost all my casting is with wheelweights and I only use 140 gr. of solder or tin to make the WW cast better. One lb. of solder is enough to "sweeten" 50 lbs. of wheelweights. At the rate EPA and the Sierra Club are going, we will probably be shooting pure tin bullets soon. Hope this helps, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Er, that should have read "140 gr. solder per lb. of wheelweights." curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last tin that I bought (acutally the only) was purchased from a scrap yard in the form of used anodes from a plater. You might try locating a plating operator.

Posts: 27 | Location: Speedway Indiana | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote