New
Find
Notify
Tools

LBT moulds?
 Login/Join

<powderfinger>
posted
Does anyone know of anybody who is making copies of the LBT style of moulds. Names, URLs or addresses would be helpful.

Thanks,Z

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Ballisticast makes outstanding LBT shaped molds.

I knew surfing the net would pay off, came accross this on another forum http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%20Designs.htm

Check out pages ~7-9 for LBT shapes.

I do have a couple of Ballisticast molds, and they are first rate. They also at that time would very the weights on std designs at no extra charge, but I'm not sure if that service is still offered.

[ 11-19-2002, 02:04: Message edited by: Paul H ]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<powderfinger>
posted
Thanks Paul,

I was having trouble finding their web page.

I have also learned that www.castperformance.com is selling LBT style moulds.

I knew someone would pull through for me.

You da man. [Smile]

Z

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Castperformance was/is selling ballisticast molds. You will get faster turn around going direct to balisticast. I don't know what their lead time is now, but it is worth the wait. The 4 cavity molds are really nice, as you can really crank out the bullets, but they are a bit spendy.

Another option is Applegate, who makes a brass bodied mold. I've only cast one applegate, so can't make a truly fair comparison, but I didn't like the way the mold cast. I think it just needed larger dia holes in the sprue plate, but it was a buddies mold, and I didn't want to modify it.

I've cast a few ballisticast's, as well as many original LBT's. Considering what original LBT's are garnering, I'd always go with a ballisticast over an LBT, as they seem to run the same price wise.

<powderfinger>
posted
Paul,

I went to the Ballisticast site and liked what I saw. I also realized that they were somehow connected to Cast Performance as they recommended going to the Cast site for load data. I have a mould catalog coming from the Cast company, so I will be curious to see how their prices and delivery times compare. Ballisticast web site says 1 to 2 week delivery time and $ 95 for a 2 cavity mould.

I read in some magazine article by Ross Seifried that Robert Applegate was making brass moulds of the LBT design, but I was a little leary about the moulds being brass. Kinda been putting it off because of that.

Are the Ballisticast moulds steel or aluminum and what kind of handles do you have to use on them?
I have RCBS and Lyman handles and was hoping I didn't have to buy another set just for them.

Thanks, Larry Z.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I believe all of Cast Performance's production molds are ballisticast. I also think the pricing is the same at both places.

The ballisticast molds are cast iron, with a 1/4" thick tool steel sprue plate. They use RCBS handles. The mold faces and sprue plate are machined to such tight tollerances that when you tilt a clean mold to the side, the sprue plate opens just by gravity pulling on it, yet there is no slop on the sprue plate. The molds come a straw color from the heat treating, but after use the sprue plate will turn purple.

The Applegate molds are good, and I don't think brass is a bad material per se. That said, I think ballisticast molds are in a class by themselves.

<powderfinger>
posted
Paul,

Thanks for all the info. Got all the answers to all of my questions.
(Just the facts Jack) How refreshing.

I will be buying a .458 mould of LBT design from Ballisticast, just gotta settle on which one. Probably a 400 grainer with a WFN or LFN.

I will load it in my Pedersoli Sharps 45-70 with blackpowder for now, but someday I'm gonna built a .450 Marlin on a Win M70 action and I'll use it in that too. (Just for whitetail deer) Should make a fine short range woods rifle.

You've been a big help,

Larry

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Lee is making several moulds similar to LBT's.
Am looking at the 300gr. 44 and .45. Also looking at the .357 bullet.
Has anyone tried these?
Thanks in advance.
Did I mention I'm cheap(not wealthy) and try to find a bargain.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dan,

When I had my 44 mag, I used the lee 310 gr rf gc mold. It is a good bullet, accurate, and I'd expect it to be very effective on game. I also had a Lee 240 gr swc gc mold that I modified as a plainbase, good accurate bullets. I also have a modified 45 300 gr rf that has no gas check and drops ~280 gr. I cast that one for several friends, and they've been happy with how they shoot. I also have one of the prototype .475" 400 gr Lee molds. I actually sold an original LBT 390 gr mold, because the Lee bullets shot just as well, and I'd rather have a $16 mold then a $100 mold.

Oh, I almost forgot, I also have Lee's .357" 150 gr rf mold, and I like it as well as the others.

I'm a big fan of Lee's products, especially their bullet molds, they make good bullets, and you can afford to have several molds per caliber. If you get the 35 caliber mold, get the six cavity mold. My only regret is that I wasn't sure if I'd like the bullet, so I ordered the 2 holer instead of the 6 holer. The 6 cavity mold is a higher quality mold then their 2 cavity molds, but you must cut the sprues when they are hot, or you can break the sprue plate.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Thanks Paul, thats what I wanted to hear.
Kinda on a budget right now so will have to go with the two holers for now.

posted Hide Post
Dan, I have the Lee 357 158 gr flat point with one lube groove. It is a cowboy looking unit and similar to an LBT design. It shoots great in both of my rugers, a security six and a blackhawk. When you push it to max velocities accuracy suffers a bit, but that may only be due to my alloy not being hard enough. But in the 1150 fps range it performs excellent.

ammohead

Posts: 9 | Location: Lyon Co. Nevada | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at the Lee molds also. I really like the looks of the RF style bullet nose. I ordered some stuff to get started in 30 cal, but I have a wish list and intend to get several more after I recover from Christmas. The one thing I didn't see was a heavy 35 cal mold. I'd like one in 180gn. Also could I size the 457-340-F down to .452" and have it work in my 45Colts and 454?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
I've been looking at the Lee molds also. I really like the looks of the RF style bullet nose. I ordered some stuff to get started in 30 cal, but I have a wish list and intend to get several more after I recover from Christmas. The one thing I didn't see was a heavy 35 cal mold. I'd like one in 180gn. Also could I size the 457-340-F down to .452" and have it work in my 45Colts and 454?

It is a pitty that Lee doesn't make a 180-200 gr .358" bullet. I have a six cavity 158 swc lee that I've been meaning to modify a couple of cavities to drop heavier bullets, but I just haven't been sufficiently motivated to get to that project.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:

It is a pitty that Lee doesn't make a 180-200 gr .358" bullet. I have a six cavity 158 swc lee that I've been meaning to modify a couple of cavities to drop heavier bullets, but I just haven't been sufficiently motivated to get to that project.

When the 454 casull first became popular, and there weren't many choices of molds, many folks used .458" molds to make heavy bullets. This is one case where you would want a mold that drops .457" bullets.

I'd also say based on my experience sizing bullets several thousandths oversize, you don't want to do it with hard bullets. Squezing a bullet down .002-.003" isn't too bad, but squezing down .005-6" is going to be a chore. If you are casting wheelweights, then don't water drop them. If you need them hard, then do an oven heat treat and quench after sizing the bullets.

one of us
Picture of Sky C.
posted Hide Post
Howdy All-

For those who are interested - custom mould maker Rob Applegate offers a number of moulds following the LBT designs - one of my favorites is his 425gr Wide Long Nose design for the .45-70. Correct nose profile and crimping groove location to cycle through the lever guns and so far - the most accurate bullets in both my Marlin 1895 & Winchester 1886. He's also got designs for .44 cal and .45 cal handgun in the WFN profile.

Rob's moulds are cut in brass and finished beautifully. They look as though they belong in a showcases. They are the best moulds I have ever used.

Double cavity moulds run $100 plus shipping. Current backlog is running on the order of 6 months or so I believe - but well worth the wait.

Contact info.:

Applegate Gunsmithing
P.O. Box 58
Yoncalla, OR 97499
tel: 541-849-2458 9:00A - 4:30P M-F

He has a color brochure showing the bullet designs and that contains a number of excellent casting tips too. I highly recommend his product.

Best to you all-

Posts: 103 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote