New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet weight vs recoil?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it a general rule of thumb that the heavier the bullet gets the more the recoil is for the same grain powder? I have read that the lighter bullets produce a lighter recoil. Cory

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Cory
I have a four cavity 175 grain full wadcutter for 357. I also have a 158 grain SWC Saeco and a 140 grain SWC Saeco. For match shooting I use the 140 gr. bullet because it's less recoil, higher velocity. The 175 gr bullet is most likely the most accurate and is fun to practice with but gets tedious during a bullseye match. The same applies to the 158 SWC.
That little 140 gr bullet has little recoil and plunks them in the X-ring all day long.
I'll load 6.5 grains of Unique behind the 175 gr. I'll load 5 grains of Bullseye or 231 behind the 158.
And I'll load 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 231 behind the 140gr.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmcalpin2002:
Is it a general rule of thumb that the heavier the bullet gets the more the recoil is for the same grain powder? I have read that the lighter bullets produce a lighter recoil. Cory

Recoil is relative to bullet wt, gun wt, wt of the powder chg and how fast the bullet leaves the muzzle. Mix and match for the recoil level you want...

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey, If I do this right, you can go to this site and play with a recoil calculator. Mayhaps this'll help understand how it all fits together. Regards, Woody
http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reduce the bullet weight while holding the same velocity and you reduce the recoil by roughly the same percentage.

Yeah, I know the change in powder charge plays a role, but it's one my hand never noticed.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote