Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rooster liquid lube
 Login/Join

posted
It's my understanding that the Rooster liquid lube dries to a hard finish, and hopefully the bullets won't stick to each other.

I'm casting the Lee 228 RN bullet out of a pair of 6 cavity moulds. My problem is that my RCBS and Lyman lubrisizers are really starting to kill my shoulder. Arthritis is such an ugly thing. I shoot 4 - 5 thousand rounds a month and really need a different method of lubing that will work with this bullet.

Currently I'm using either Rooster Red Zambini or Thompson Blue Angel. Will the Rooster liquid lube be a good option?

Posts: 8 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some Rooster jacket,use it, like it. It leaves a surface much like that on lead .22 lr.

I've been on a rifle binge since I got it and have not given it a proper trial in pistols. Since it works well pistol caliber carbines, there is no obvious reason that it should not work in reasonable pistol loads. I know it works in .38 Specials and .44 Mag at about 1200 fps from a carbine barrel and that's about all I really know.

For your usage levels, it's available in quantity directly from Rooster Laboratories. A gallon should do you a long, long time. I have barely touched my half gallon in lubing several thousand bullets, even if I have mot gotten around to shooting many of them.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've played around with Rooster jacket.

It surprised me by working OK with full throttle 357 loads, as long as the bullet was hard. It was actually a little cleaner than liquid alox. If a soft bullet was used, then both Rooster Jacket and liquid alox would lead the barrel. The same soft bullets would not lead with a "good" lube.

I tried Rooster Jacket with a PB 30'06 bullet at 1600 fps. It did not do so well. Liquid alox worked better. But if I added a little moly powder to the Rooster Jacket, then it worked as well as the liquid alox.

Based on that limited experience, I'd say Rooster Jacket is a marginal lube. I was hoping it would work a little better, because it isn't sticky like liquid alox, and it dries faster. But for most applications, liquid alox is probably better. Powdered mica will take care of the stickiness.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mountaingun, for a general purpose lube, Liquid Alox is unquestionably better. Rooster Jacket is special purpose stuff.

We started off with a special purpose question. Is Rooster Jacket suitable for .45 RN loads. My take is that it is more than good enough for that use and for any midrange pistol load and a lot cheaper, easier to apply, and less messy.

Think I'm right on this. Better be because I have over a thousand .38 Special WCs loaded with bullets lubed with it. They shot really good in the Handi, anyway.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the responses.

I've used liquid alox with a TL .45 bullet several years ago, and except for the sticky mess, they worked OK. However I shoot too much each session to tolerate the mess these days.

I'm going to test the Rooster against the liquid alox anyway. So far I lubed 100 bullets and ran them through a Lee sizer. My loose opinion is that they should have run through the die easier, but that could just be negative thinking. Last night I lubed them again with the Rooster.

I also decided to lube 100 with liquid alox, size them, then lube again. Tonight I still have to size and relube them.

I will likely go ahead and tumble the loaded rounds to get the excess lube off. Loaded rounds hit the dirt too often when shooting USPSA to tolerate anything that will cause dirt to stick to the bullet.

At the same time I'm going to extend the handle on my RCBS lubrisizer and experiment with mounting height to see if that helps my shoulder pain. For some reason I'm thinking the liquid lube isn't going to work, so I need a backup plan.

Posts: 8 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walking-- your handle makes me think you be a vetern of Nam.

Posts: 247 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
4/21 11BDE 23rd INF here.
Americal for short

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in first of the eighth, First Air Cav. Didn't walk much point, carried that damm heavy PRC25

Posts: 247 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote