Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy 8mm bullet mold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/so_mould.asp

Go to the address above and check out the six hole mold for the 8mm Karabiner (210 grain bullet). A production order is being scheduled for the week before Christmas, so an order placed through Midsouth's web page now would be included in that run.

Cost is $33 for a six hold mold.

This is a six cavity mold with hardened steel mold block alignment pins construction, it is not the normal LEE single cavity mold construction at all.

This bullet is sized for the standard military specification 8mm mauser throat. If you have a modern gun (Remington 8mm Classic or whatever) you should get yourself a smaller diameter nosed bullet. This one was specially built to fill up the oversized standard military throats (so it can shoot more accurately out of those mil-surp guns).

Carries a nice wide hunting meplat, too. There are lots of 8mm Mausers out there, but there are very few really accurate cast lead bullets to shoot out of them.

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder, Oldfeller. I plumb forgot, but as my old friend Luther used to say, it bin did.

Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem Earnie, reminders are easy and cheap.

I don't make it over here all that frequently, so when I do I tend to drop a note to say what is current or pending. The 6.5 Swede is current. The 8mm Karabiner is pending.

I have been working hard to finish out the 6.5 Swede mold package for around Jan 15 shipping, right now I am busy opening up 22 lubriciser dies so the guys can have their larger than stock sized bullets to exactly fit the throats of their Swedes (.2675" to .2680").

It is wonderfully slow stuff, mandrel lapping. I had planned to ream the sizer dies open with a titanium nitride coated HHS reamer as the sizer die steel appeared to be plenty soft enough to do just that. But residual embedded grit from the Lyman (H&I) Sunnen Hone operations quickly convinced the custom reamers that they had to go dull their cutting edges instantly and go belly-up and seize, leaving me pushing a honing mandrel in and out, in and out, on 22 sizing dies.

It serves to keep me at home and out of trouble at night, anyway. My right hand is getting stronger, gripping all those dies while they lap. Builds patence and good character, too.

Speaking of patience, Aladin - did the folks at Lee ever get up with you on your HBC idea? I told them twice about it, but that might not be enough times yet.

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Current or pending, it is marvelously interesting stuff. And it keeps you out of trouble to boot.

Truthfully, the 8mm mould is of more interest to me than the 6,5, mostly because my only Swede shoots rather well with my old 26-145 Herter's mould. It's only a single cavity, though, and the slow pace of casting is tiring. Come to think of it, most of my moulds are old single cavity job. Hmmmm.

Thanks for your hard work.

Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote