New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting in some 45 gr cast bullets that I intend to load in my Hornet. I intend to load 'em up to approx 22 LR velocities.

Been thinkin' about 2.5 grs of Red Dot, but I saw a load in the Lyman book that used about 5.5 grs or so of SR4759.

Maybe the 4759 load would be a better way to go? Fills the case more and a bit slower burning.

Guess I'll have to try both to be sure. Just wondering if anyone else had a favorite cast load in their Hornet.

Thanks,

Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried any at 22lr speeds, but I shoot the 225415 (48gr, linotype) using 4.3gr of ww231 and small pistol primers in my K-Hornet. I get very consistent velocities around 1860-1875fps.
Check out articles by Paco Kelly on www.sixgunner.com if you can still get on there. He wrote about using cast in the hornet.. had some pretty interesting loads.. some for backyard use, using a #4buckshot ball pressed into the mouth of a case charged with about 1/8gr of bullseye, or something like that.
If you are any good at casting those little bullets, you ought to be able to shoot the hornet for less than 22lr...cases ought to last forever.. or until George Clooney joins the NRA.. whichever comes first...

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both 50 and 60 gr GC cast, trying only the 50's in the Hornet. Accuracy has been so bad, I've about given up. I have used Blue Dot, 5744, H4227, and Unique, with velocities from 1600 to 2100fps. Is it the 1:16 twist, or possibly bullet design? I'm not sure what mold the 50 came from, but it is a flat nose.
Old Handloader article had Mike Venturino shooting various 22 centerfires, and the Hornet was the only one to give him problems, to the extent he grouped it at only 25yds!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Rocky>
posted
I'm only guessing here, but it's an educated guess....

The Hornet's 1-16 twist isn't going to be friendly to a 50gr bullet at very modest speeds. Some of them won't stabilize 50 grainers at full throttle, so at cast bullet speeds, it's probably a lost cause.

Unless you can find a mould or bullet of 45 grains or less, the Hornet isn't a cartridge in which I'd use cast bullets.

The proposed load of 2.5 RedDot might be workable, but you may have to bump it up a bit above 22LR speeds before you see a stable bullet. I'm betting that 1000-1200 will do it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot some cast loads today. I used Green Dot. Anywhere from 2.2 to 3.1 grs. I basically just wanted to see if they'd go "bang" everytime and the bullet would exit the barrel. I used CCI small pistol primers.

I shot them offhand at 25 yards or so as accuracy testing was not the primary goal.

I do not have a lot of experience shooting cast bullets so this all has been a learning experience.

One question that immediately comes to mind is, how do I tell if leading is occuring? After shooting today, I cleaned the Hornet and it seems like I'm getting a lot of black patches. Only fired about 25 rounds of cast through it. I am using Shooter's Choice as the solvent.

I bought the bullets from a commercial caster so I am not sure what kind of lube he used or the alloy used. The lube is blue in color. I'll have to email him and ask some questions I guess. No gas checks on the bullets either, but for low vel, they're not needed I'm told.

I've read that at low speeds, like I'm attempting, a soft lube is preferred as it will reduce leading at low speeds. Hard lube is preferred for faster loads as it will not melt quick enough to do its' job at low velocities.

I should also add that I am looking to approximate 22 LR velocities. Every year when we get together for Christmas, it has become a tradition for my family to hold a "plinkathon" with our .22's. I would like to add something to the game by trying out the old Model 70 Hornet on the tiny iron silouhettes we shoot. My brother and father have Model 70 Hornets as well, so who knows, maybe we'll have a centerfire competition as well. [Smile]

Maybe I'll have to break down and start casting my own. That's all I need, another hobby! [Smile]

What issue of Handloader had the cast bullet loads in it?

Thank you all for the feedback!

Tim

[ 03-03-2003, 05:20: Message edited by: NETim ]

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handloader 130 (1987) has the Mike Venturino article on cast boolits in 22 centerfires.
Overall boolit length is suppose to greatly impact stabilization (or lack of it); my 50's are just shorter than a 45HP, yet my Hornet gags on 'em.
More to learn.....

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mulerider. I found that copy in my stack o' Handloaders. Kinda discouraging, but maybe the Ruger was to blame. And maybe the bullet chosen wasn't quite right.

My experiments are on hold due to weather. [Frown]

I am hoping the blunt nose 45 grainers will eventually shoot accurately enough to be usuable.

Tim

<eldeguello>
posted
I shoot the 225415 cast from wheelweights and hardened by dropping from the mould into a big bucket of cold water with a folded towel on the bottom. My .22 LR duplication load is 4 grains of Unique, and this load is quite accurate!! But your idea of using 4759 has merit, both because of increased load density, and slower burning, which should keep from deforming the bullet as much as a faster powder. Let us know what you do, and how it works out!!