New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIR RIFLE PELLET MOULDS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HAS ANYONE GOT OR HEARD OF MOULDS TO CAST .17 CAL. PELLETS WITH? I'M WONDERING IF CASTING PELLETS WOULD EVEN BE POSIBLE. A POUND OF LEAD WOULD MAKE A SHIT LOAD OF BEEMAN AMMO.

SHHHHHH BE VEWY VEWY QUIET I'M HUNTING WABBITS.........................

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've heard it is extremely difficult to consistantly cast bullets that small, as you just don't add enough heat into the mold each time you cast to keep the mold hot enough.

All the commercial bullets are swadged, you might want to look into a set up to use your reloading press to swadge pellets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .17 caliber pellet mould from LEM. Really don't know much about LEM. The mould itself is brass and pretty small. I've not attempted to use it as pellets are not that expensive. Pretty little thing though.

Posts: 80 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got moulds for both .177 and .22 made by LEM. The .22 one is easy to use but the .177 one is a real sod!; either the lead wont go in or if the mould does fill I cannot get the bullet out.

LEM was a one man operation in Liverpool, England and disappeared a long while ago. LEM made a great deal of moulds, mainly for black powder shooters.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But, why?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leftoverdj:
But, why?

Hey! Don't cloud the issue with logic! [Smile]

I've never let logic interfere with my rifle buying or reloading hobbies... [Big Grin]

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've always regretted not buying the LEM moulds when I was in the UK during the mid 80's, now I don't feel so bad! I've also wondered why nobody has manufactured them now, I bet the doom and armageddon guys would snap them up like hotcakes.

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I WAS LOOKING IN AN OLD BEEMAN CATALOG LAST NITE AND THEY USED TO SELL PELLET MOULDS. IN .177 CALIBER THE PELLET IT CAST WEIGHED 14 GRS. IT WAS WHAT THEY CALLED A SPITZER TYPE PELLET. THEY ALSO SELL A PELLET SIZER. 14 GRS IS TOO HEAVY AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED AS I DON'T LIKE THE WAY MY BEEMAN SHOOTS PREMIERS. THEY ARE 10.5 GRS. MY BEEMAN SEEMS TO LIKE 7.5 GR SLUGS THE BEST.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
As well as I recall, the last time I was browsing CBE's stuff down in Oz, they make pellet moulds.

Might look it up as the memory is getting fuzzy./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've casted tens of thousands of bullets. I don't even want to think about casting something that small. Use an electric hotplate to keep your mould at the optimum temperature since your molten alloy won't do the job and get a pyrometer for controlling your alloy temp. Or better yet, visit www.swage.com

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote