New
Find
Notify
Tools

inverted gc on paper patch
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just starting paper patching, my paper patches came out as small bits...would there be any problem with inverted gc use on a boattail ? (have post under reloading about loads etc)
Is there any reason to be concerned about patches not being shreded ?
Any suggestions on media to shoot into to recover bullet unharmed as possible?
bullets are not cast [Roll Eyes] but from http://www.prbullet.com/

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McD,
Why would you want to use a gas check in this manner? Your bullet/patching should seal the bore. It seems to me, you would be introducing another (unnecessary?) place for something to go awry.
As for a bullet catcher, You can make a long box (5-8 ft)out of 1X8 boards with inner tube ends. Fill it with WET sawdust. That works pretty well for catching bullets without too much damage.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the paper patch is supposed to come out in one piece..I had a wind into my face the only bits of the patch I found were in my gun case on the bench I was shooting from..less then 1/4"x1/4" chunks. Just guessing it is blow by causing that.
The lowest es on velocity was 14 using 2 cards could be other reasons for that but figure it might have provided more protection to base and figure gas check would help even more.
May have to try 3 sets with same powder and try 1 card 2 cards and gas check.

posted Hide Post
This site answered alot of questions for me.
FWIW
DaveP
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=47

Posts: 12 | Location: Hodgenville, KY | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The paper patch is cut by the rifling and comes out as confetti. The paper patch is a gas check - no need for another gas check. I think a gas check or boattail bullet design helps close the patch on the base - adding a check would just get in the way, inverting a check would be a PITA (for me and the bullet.)
cukrus

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have almost no imformation on shooting PP loads from what I read at this sight PaperPatching the patches should come out in one piece...confetti is fine with me. Hopefully in next week or 2 will get out again with some different loads.
Looked for gas checks locally none available so will stick with cards and will try some patches with tails.
Next time will have a scope on will have a better idea of what loads are doing and can try some at 200.

posted Hide Post
The paper patched bullet patch comes out as a fine dust. Take a 30 cal with a 1 in 12 twist. That is one revolution per foot. If it is moving at a speed of 1500 feet per second then it is doing 1500 turns per second... or 90,000 revolutions per minute!!! It comes out as dust !!. If not the bullet is leaving the paper behind...ie. blown out the middle of the patch. wrg-inc

Posts: 21 | Location: Hampton, Virginia | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote