New
Find
Notify
Tools

milk carton gc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I really don't know where I heard it, maybe black-powder forums for a wad. Anyway, I cut some for my SBH .44 mag. I stuck them to the base of Lee 255 gr. bullet with liquid alox. My alloy is dropping them at 252. Charge is 18.5 gr. 2400. I guess what I'm looking for is asurance that this load will be ok. Anybody out there tried milk carton gas checks/wads? Hope you guys can help with this concern. Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 39 | Location: S.E. MI. | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 54JEFF:
I really don't know where I heard it, maybe black-powder forums for a wad. Anyway, I cut some for my SBH .44 mag. I stuck them to the base of Lee 255 gr. bullet with liquid alox. My alloy is dropping them at 252. Charge is 18.5 gr. 2400. I guess what I'm looking for is asurance that this load will be ok. Anybody out there tried milk carton gas checks/wads? Hope you guys can help with this concern. Thanks, Jeff

Your 2400 loading is probably making significantly more chamber pressure than a typical BPCR loading. Those wads really are designed to help with gas seal-- the hot combustion from going up the bullet sides and eroding lead off that slug's sides. I doubt a milk carton wad would do much for a pistol where the pressures run about double those cited in BPCR. But cut large enough and in a 100 % density loading-- who knows? Might help some depending on alloy hardness and bullet fit. All you can do is try some and compare to a load minus the wad.

Make sure they stay put. Loosely loaded their a problem... Maybe try some thicker cut so a snug fit into the case is made-- that thickness making a slight compression of the powder when the bullet is seated. Wads chg the loading density and will require somewhat less fuel to make a max loading.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are we talking waxed cardboard or polypropylene?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The milk carton is waxed cardboard. The load is slightly compressed. I had hoped to get out this past weekend but things came up. I'll try again and keep you posted. Jeff

Posts: 39 | Location: S.E. MI. | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't glue the wad to the bullet, it may/will effect accuracy when it tries to come off. The black powder cartridge guys use them all the time. Some use milk carton, some gasket material and I use plastic ice cream cover tops. Just punch them out and set them on top of the power and seat the bullet. Simple and easy.
flintski

Posts: 4 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote