New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel weight score
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I spent most the morning visiting tire shops and striking out. Most already had ppl that already got them or a scrapper picked them up. The last stop was a big shop I thought no way I'm getting anything here. A worker tells me leave your buckets and you can have all we get. So I leftfive 5gl buckets. Pretty happy to say the least. Just wanted to share the good finds are still out there

Posts: 55 | Location: southern il | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you’re getting lead and not an alloy.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I know I've thought about that. I know how to separate them

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Outback.
A question I keep meaning to ask is:
Just what are the newer wheel weights made out of? An alloy no doubt.
I am getting from df06 that they aren't recommended for casting.
Thanks,
Lou M

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's still lead wheel weights. You just have to sift through the zinc and steel. They are free to me so I'm willing to do the work

one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2
when an old friend of mine closed his small print shop here in town he let me have all the linotype i could carry out of there one day..... i got over 60 lbs of linotype out...... more than i will ever use and so i gave my best friend and reloading mentor a 20 lb bar to take home with him.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being in the construction business, I always try to score those old roof flashing plumbers used to use. Pure lead.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Having a sheet metal shop we use 50/50 solder for all our flashings. The price has gone out of sight.The wheel weight issue came up during the last administration. Word was that Obama passed an executive order (outlawing?) wheel weights of that old particular lead/tin/antimony combo + used this new pot metal for weights.I'm assuming if one gets some of these then the dross will come to the top to scim.I have also collected linotype over the years as well as pure lead + tin ingots to make my own Lyman #2,et.al.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote