New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 Colt heavy bullets & reamer?
 Login/Join

<jsirm>
posted
Hello, I have two subjects I have questions about. The first is concerning Heavy .45 COlt bullets. The bullets will be driven between 1000 and 1300 fps. I have considered the Lyman 325 gr. GC #452651, And I really doubt I need a gas check. I see that Brian Pearce writes in handloader magazine that he feels the Keith style bullets stabilize better at low velocities than LBT WFN styles. It seems to me that the shorter bullet would have less of a problem stabilizing, at least that is what I understood previously. What are the limiting factors for slow (1000 fps) heavy slugs as far as stability? And where can I find moulds for a 320+ gr. non-GC bullet?
My second question is if anyone has used the cylinder reamers sold by brownells and described in this article http://www.gunblast.com/Brownells_Reamer.htm
It looks like a good deal for someone who likes to work on their own guns (me)
Thanks
Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsirm:
Hello, I have two subjects I have questions about. The first is concerning Heavy .45 COlt bullets. The bullets will be driven between 1000 and 1300 fps. I have considered the Lyman 325 gr. GC #452651, And I really doubt I need a gas check. I see that Brian Pearce writes in handloader magazine that he feels the Keith style bullets stabilize better at low velocities than LBT WFN styles. It seems to me that the shorter bullet would have less of a problem stabilizing, at least that is what I understood previously. What are the limiting factors for slow (1000 fps) heavy slugs as far as stability? And where can I find moulds for a 320+ gr. non-GC bullet?
My second question is if anyone has used the cylinder reamers sold by brownells and described in this article http://www.gunblast.com/Brownells_Reamer.htm
It looks like a good deal for someone who likes to work on their own guns (me)
Thanks
Ian

Ian how much do you need to increase the dia of those throats? Might be another way sans the tooling.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't think the gunwriters, or veral for that matter have really tested the WFN desings sub 1200 fps enough to make the blanket statement that they are innaccurate. I shoot a 460 gr WFN @ 1050 fps from my 480, and it'll print 1" at 50 yds off the bench w/ scope, about the best I do with irons is 3". I've sold a few of these, and one of the guy's who's bought them reports that accuracy does go off @ 200 yds. He also reports the LFN's are accurate out to rediculous ranges, ie 700 yds. As for the big WFN, it penetrates straight and true, even if it goes weird @ 200 yds.

Don't be hesitant to use gas checks. Some folks report better accuracy with them. One nice thing about gas checks, especially in leu of your problem getting scrap lead, is you will have alot more tollerance to bullet hardness and not leading up your barrel. Plainbase bullets need a good dimensional match to the gun, proper hardness, and loaded to the right pressure levels to keep from leading. Gas checks alleviate many leading problems.

Try balisticast for a good selection of LBT shaped bullets. http://www.ballisti-cast.com/index.htm Look at page 8 of bullet designs 1419A Ballisticast molds are pricey, but IMHO are the finest molds on the market today, and worth the money.

[ 10-16-2002, 03:14: Message edited by: Paul H ]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<jsirm>
posted
Hello, thanks for the replys. I have not measured my throats yet, as I have not recieved the gun. But I am already paranoid about undersize throats. I was just researching what seemed like a possible option if I have trouble. I suppose gas checks shouldnt be such a hassle, I probably wont make huge quantities.
Thanks
Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a 45-325 PB mould. I just loaded some this week-end but haven't shot them yet. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote