New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anybody shoot 6.5 Swede rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody shoot the 6.5 Swedish mauser using cast bullets? There isn't a lot to pick between on molds for the 6.5 caliber. Nor for the 8mm caliber either, truth to be told.

Have you ever wanted a heavy 6.5 target bullet for the slower 1,650 fps speeds that seem to shoot so much more accurately in the Swede rifles? Have you ever wanted to take your Karlina hunting for deer using a cast bullet that would clearly outperform the smaller .308" caliber cartridges using available cast lead bullets at the 2,200 fps range these bullets commonly get used at?

Some people enjoy designing cast bullets. I am among those guilty of this obsession. I would be happy to post some of those designs for you folks to take a look at if you were at all interested.

Do you have a place to post pictures that you commonly use? Pending getting that information, here is a currently posted set of bullet designs you could take a peek at to see if you were interested in this sort of stuff.

http://www.castpics.net/Scalable_boolit/Scalable_Boolit.html

Credit for the final version, very well executed CAD drawings go to 45.21 who is a real design engineer who also corrects most all of the throat conflicts once the information is acquired as to what they really are. He does it by laying it out in CAD and designing the problems away.

Me, I have to take the gaff for the ugly pencil work on the sketches. I also keep the ball rolling on a project once it starts.

What do you see that you like? What do you see that you disagree with? Give you a hint, the bottom sketch on the 8mm scalable bullet is just plain flat impossible to put in the magazine of most mauser rifles -- it got shortened to 1.200" during some practical feeding testing that was done using form outline slugs that are made up to test out these ideas.

Yes, you have to do some testing to make sure the ideas do really work.

I am hoping to get some discussion going on the topic of bullet design and mold construction runs. Some groups actually design their own bullet molds and arrange to have them cut by some of the existing mold vendors. Of the current set, Lee is the most inexpensive (but highest risk) and David Mos is the best quality (but a good bit more expensive).

I don't know if you guys have ever done anything like that or not, it can be very rewarding if handled correctly so it does not become a big hassle.

What do you think?

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Is that the infamous Jump Trap boolit?

I shoot a swede on occasions, but haven't gotten around to working up loads for it. I converted a Lyman 140 gr mold to plainbase for a fellow, but when I tried some the sample bullets, accuracy was horrid.

I'd love to have a heavy swede bullet accrit @ 1650 fps, that level of load is so much fun to shoot with no recoil.

You can post pictures here, but have to have them first posted on a website. As I recall, the protocall is [img] www.yourpic.com [img/]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

No it isn't the Jumptrap bullet (that was a shorter lighter bullet) it is a new one that won out in a design contest between a 1.250" and 1.300" long LBT designs because it carried the approximately the same weight as the 1.250" LBT (175-180 grains), it had a larger meplat and yet it still offered better nose support on loading and firing than the long unsupported noses on the LBT designs. And it is naturally tolerant of new shorter throats which the LBT design was not.

I created the LBT designs by the way, so it won fairly, even convincing me. The fellow who did the winnning design goes by the moniker 45.21 and he also drew up my ideas and some other permutations and put them head to head with dimensions on the same CAD drawing which made comparisons very easy.

If you are curious or wanted to post the run-off drawings for your list members to look at, just give me a buzz at Oldfeller123@aol.com and I will send it to you. Or a graphic image of it, if that would be better for you than AutoCad format.

Back to the winning bullet, on loading the bore ride gets rifling marked and (if you choose) the front driving band is forced into the end of the throat. Intention is to size it .268" for worn military throats and .266" for those who have a 1 triangle mark on their butt-plates (virgin throated guns).

Once again, go to the web address given in the first post on this thread and just scan down past the hand sketches to the cad drawings at the end to see the CAD drawing of the winning bullet.

Or buzz me and I'll send you the run-off images.

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote