Notify
Tools

LBT online
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
http://www.hanned.com/lbt/lbt.htm

Just repeating what I read on sixgunner.com

Wow, just got to the prices. I think Veral has been a pioneer in bullet designs, but you can get a balisticast 4 cavity for nearly the price of a 2 cavity LBT, and IMHO, the balisticast is a hands down better mold.

[ 10-16-2003, 04:39: Message edited by: Paul H ]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is quite a jump from what I paid a couple months back. WOW. It is good to see him back though.

Posts: 36 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess he figured the extra should cover his taxes. Lol. Good to see him back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding the Balisticast is a cherry cut mold? I dunno how a cherry cut could be considered having the quality of a lathe bored, in terms of dia's specificly cut to your specs, not to mention length and other specifics.

Balisticast's website which I viewed many months ago was about ill-legible too. Have they revisited that?

I did not see on their website anything about rifle molds either-- do they do the range of LBT nose profiles?

Pricing is pure supply and demand. If the buyers keep Smith busy at that pricing level-- good for him.

Occurred to me Paul that lurking around the net here and elsewhere your promoting Balisticast. Do you have a connection or arrangement with them?

Posts: 57 | Location: Far North Western Mongolia | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, those prices have definitely jumped since I paid $105 for my 4 cavity molds back before Veral and the Feds had their disagreement.

However, I can say without a doubt that the 5 LBT molds I own or have owned are far and away the easiest I�ve ever used with which to cast perfect bullets.

With my Lyman, RCBS and yes, even H&G molds I always have to carefully inspect the finished products. With the LBT molds there is one inspection point � open the mold, look at the bases. If I have left a good sprue and the bases are square then the bullets are keepers. No weighing, no other checking required, I know they will shoot straight. If one has a slightly rounded base then it goes back in the pot. BTW, if they are slightly rounded it is always my fault.

Quality is expensive. I�ve been casting since 1976 and, in my humble opinion, you might find molds as good as an LBT but I truly doubt that you will find better.

No, I don�t work for Veral or have any fiduciary interest in his company, but I am unashamedly a huge fan of the man and his products.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NO BS:
It's my understanding the Balisticast is a cherry cut mold? I dunno how a cherry cut could be considered having the quality of a lathe bored, in terms of dia's specificly cut to your specs, not to mention length and other specifics.

Balisticast's website which I viewed many months ago was about ill-legible too. Have they revisited that?

I did not see on their website anything about rifle molds either-- do they do the range of LBT nose profiles?

Pricing is pure supply and demand. If the buyers keep Smith busy at that pricing level-- good for him.

Occurred to me Paul that lurking around the net here and elsewhere your promoting Balisticast. Do you have a connection or arrangement with them?

I have no affilition any shooting or hunting company, I've never recieved anything free or at a discount. I'm just like anyone else here, like to cast and shoot, and have to order my stuff like the rest, but shipping up to AK is a bit more. Our host Saeed has kindly given me copies of his hunting videos and cd's of the pictures.

The one gun I've done extensive cast bullet testing with is my 480 SRH. With a scope off the bench it'll print 5 shots into an inch at 50 yds, and at 100 yds, I've pulled off some 1 1/2" 3 shot groups. No, that is nowhere near what a benchrest gun can do, but to me, it is a decent testbed.

I won't mention all the molds and bullets I've tested, but the pertinant ones are a 310 gr LFN from a 4 cavity balisticast, my buddy paid full price for it, I traded him out of it, a two cavity 390 gr LBT LFN I bought used for $100, a Lee 400 gr rf that the same buddy got as a prototype from Lee for testing, which I also traded him out of, a two cavity 400 gr XLFN (.510" long nose)gc mountain mold the same buddy bought that I traded him out of, and a 460 gr WFN gc two cavity balisticast I paid full price for, and waited several months to recieve.

While all of those bullets have printed 5 shot 1" groups at 50 yds, the 310 gr baliscicast from the 4 cavity mold has been consistantly the most accurate bullet of all of those, and the one that grouped 1 1/2" at 100 yds.

One other comment on the balisticast, my buddy speced a nominal 300 gr mold as cast of .4765" from wheelweights. They calculated the bullet would come out 306 gr. Actual as cast bullets measure .4765", and after lubing come in at 310 gr even. Seems pretty good to me. Oh, and the 460 gr mold I have, I asked for 450 gr .4770" from wheilweights. With gas check and lube, the weigh in at 459 grs, and are .4770" out of the mold.

The fit/finish of the balisticast is the best of any mold I've used. The sprue plate will open under it's own weight by tilting the mold to the side, and with no slop either. It is steel mold, with a thick steel sprue plate. I've hear that Balisticast is under new ownership, so don't know what their current quality is like.

For me, mountain molds is where it's at, I've cast from 3 of their molds, and own the one I previously mentioned. There quality is good, prices are very reasonable, and I plan to order at least one mold from Dan in the near future.

As an asside, I sold the 390 gr LBT mold, for the same $100 I paid for it, as I found the Lee bullet performed just as well, and that from a $15 mold.

I have nothing against Veral or LBT, he is without question the best thing that has happened to cast bullet design in the last 20 years. Hunters and shooters are indebted to him for the advancements he's made in cast bullet design.

Perhaps I regret making the comment about the pricing, but IMHO, he is asking way too much for his molds. $80 for a 2 cavity was reasonable, $125??? it's your money. I wish Veral all the success, and am sure with the sixgunner.com crue, and SASS popularity, he will be more than busy enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
got my lyman moulds at a gun show for i think it was $20 for a set of two moulds. they make great 150gr swc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Likewise I wish Smith good luck, yet the LBT aluminum mold isn't without flaws.

That stamped sprue plate sucks. Best results are laddle pouring to keep everything liquid for good base fillout, which is the achilles heel of his design. Lightening tension on that plate helps and filing a bevel on the block edge helps too. But those fillout holes being stamped together is far less than ideal. It's the worst plate on any mold made.

Smith's rethoric in the online version of his brouchure is a mite too arrogant. IMO just the facts and let the chips fall where they may. His pistol designs are just a good dose of common sense-- and not having a heirarchy of management to convince, being a one man operation. Bullet fitting isn't rocket science or even magical as some have suggested. Accuracy is just about square, parallel and zero runout... or sound machining principles in fact. Reinvention of the wheel isn't on Smith's resume by a far cry.

If I'm gonna spend $125-$175 on a mold/molds... I go to Mountain for the common design and Mos for a custom. 'Viril' will be busy enough without my dollars.

Posts: 57 | Location: Far North Western Mongolia | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Oh how I wish I could get molds for $10. I've always gotten good bullets from Lyman molds, but there are definately better made molds on the market.

One other thing I've thought of, as I recall LBT recomends casting from straight wheelweights. That said, his molds cast noteably heavier and larger in dia then stamped on their sides. I do still have one LBT, a .512" "450" gr LFN gc. They come out 469 w/ check and lube when cast from ww's, not sure on as cast dia as I've never measured them. $50 for the used mold was a decent price, and while it does have some dings that cause tits on the bullet base and hence have to be individually cut off.

I've never had problems with the LBT strue plate, but I cast from a bottom pour and all the LBT's have been large bore pistol molds. Probably a problem with long/skinny rifle molds. I did manage to break off the hold down lever on my buddies mold, so bent and ground some 1/8" music wire, and added a set screw to keep it in place and allow adjustment. It's a better holddown then the original.

Hmm, come to think of it, I don't think I've had a single mold that couldn't cast good bullets. Some molds have been more idiosyncratic then others [Big Grin] providing low yields until I figured out what they needed. I have developed a bad attitude towards brass blocks, based on an applegate and the mountain mold, both of which have been the most temperature sensitive molds I've ever used. I generally like Lee molds, especaially the six cavity ones, they really crank out the bullets!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I note Smith IS NOT making custom molds now. You get variation of dia's and in some instances nose length presents choices-- but it appears the days of the true custom design are gone.

LSS... using an RCBS or similar sprue plate requires no finesse to make a sharply defined bullet base with a rifle mold. I have used LBT's with a custom made plate that worked very well too, like the RCBS [using the newer thick plate now fitted on the RCBS]. Using the original stamped plate on the LBT results in too many rejects for not clearly filled out bases, and too dam much tinkering to get them correct.

[ 10-18-2003, 17:50: Message edited by: NO BS ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
[The is nothing bad about a cherry cut mould. Lathe bored moulds have no inherant advantage. It all boils down to the quality of the tools, equpment, material and workmanship. RCBS,NEI, Rob Applegate and other fine makers cherry cut moulds.

QUOTE]Originally posted by NO BS:

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chargar:
[QB][The is nothing bad about a cherry cut mould. Lathe bored moulds have no inherant advantage. It all boils down to the quality of the tools, equpment, material and workmanship. RCBS,NEI, Rob Applegate and other fine makers cherry cut moulds.

Ya missed the point Mr Charger, the lathe bored operation allows the flexibility to change dia's etc whereas a cherry cuts it's profile. Good operators can fudge abit with a cherry but not enough to make any real difference. Lathe bored offers many options which require that expensive cherry with each bullet design change.

NEI aluminum molds are nothing to write home about, especially given dia runout.

Applegate makes enough molds to keep what percentage of the shooters happy? Not many, nice man though and a true perfectionist.

RCBS yes. But most of their stuff is good-- and as good a warranty as there's anwhere's.

Truth be told... the best value in molds in the SC Lee. Polish it abit.. you've got a gem!

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I don't own an LBT mold.

I do have more than 1 [Wink] Mountain Molds which seem to work pretty well for me.
 -
Maybe if I practiced a bit more I could get them all to go in the same hole. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my .41 WLN before he got on line and the price went up -- it is very good mold but using a dipper I have work at good bullets which when they are good they are very good-- I am glad I got mine and that before the price increase which I doubt I would have paid-I have a Stainless 5.5 Redhawk .41 and it shoots this bullet very well -- after the farmer gets his crop in where I shoot I will find out what it will do at 100 --but honestly I have had Lee or Lyman or RCBS do about as well but much easier-- I have been casting since the mid 70 so I am not a newbie-still i like my mold

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote