New
Find
Notify
Tools

H322???????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have eight pounds of H322 and never use the stuff. Looks to me like it oughta be prime for cast bullet loads.

First tries will be in .308 Win with 170 grain GCs and 7x57 with 130 grain GCs. My SWAG is that 25 grains is a decent place to start with both.

Advice? Favorite loads? Dire warnings?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Marc>
posted
I have used 26 gr of H322 with the 180 Lee bullet in a 30-30. Also used the same 26 gr in a 7-30 Waters in a Contender with the Saeco 160 gr 071 bullet. I don't remember how well it did in the 30-30 but H322 did as well as anything in the 7-30. I also really like how it flows through a measure. I burned a couple of lbs. in the TC. I don't see how you could get in trouble with 25 gr. in the cartridges you have. Try it, you might like it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
LeftoverDJ,
I love H322, is your keg new production or surplus? About 10 years ago, I had an 8 pound keg of the surplus stuff go bad on me, it is the only powder that I have ever had go bad on me. I was buying the stuff for about $7 per pound at the time.
Make sure you check it out before you load with it. Yours is probably just fine, but I'd check it out just to be safe.

best of luck with your 322 loads.

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
LeftoverDJ,

I like H322 in the .35 Remington for top velocities and in the .45-70 to duplicate factory 300 gr. "express" loadings at minimal pressures. Niether is used with cast bullets. I believe it is a hair faster than H335.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote