New
Find
Notify
Tools

roundness
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My mold is dropping slugs out of round! .431-433. When I size to ,431, the bullets just drop through the cylinder. Unsized they stick.I've allready spun slugs with abrasive compound in the mold. Do I need to do it again?? This super blackhawk is acting like it wants to shoot. Was gonna shoot these bullets as cast. maybe some help out there?? Thanks,Jeff

Posts: 39 | Location: S.E. MI. | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
54JEFF
If you can determine which way yer boolits are .431 and it is approximately 90DEG. to the parting line Ya can beagelize it buy placing aluminum tape on the outside of the mold cavities to make it wider and then your results will be rounder. However if your .433 dimension is that direction this'll make it worse. [Frown]

Posts: 70 | Location: USA,CO. | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Jeff, go ahead and make the boolits bigger using the Beagle technique. The small diameter of the boolit should be cylinder exit size, and let the seam size go wild. If the boolit can be seated in your seating die without scraping, then OK, the loads are ready to shoot. Cut the powder down some to compensate for any possible pressure increase. If the boolit is too big to go into your seater, you might either open up the seater a little, or size off the seam with a new diameter sizer.

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll try tape trick. BTW, where do I find that kind of tape? TIA Jeff

Posts: 39 | Location: S.E. MI. | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, paint department at Wallyworld has it. Also just about any hardware store or home center. Very good technique, btw. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff you've got some good hands on this case with good advice. I'd suggest another alternative. Push size with a Lee die at 432. I don't think they make an exact size at 432 but their easily lapped out by pushing slugs thru charged with a lap agent. That way you could get a fit that's just 'so'.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote