New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lee Reloading Manual
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The March American Rifleman has an ad for "Modern Reloading, Second Edition". The ad makes this new book appear to be very bullet caster friendly.
It seems to address some cast bullet subjects largely ignored by most manuals. Anybody have one yet? What do you think? The ad is trying to tell me I need one! Regards, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got around to reading the first edition and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first edition is a waste of trees, and I paid for my copy. After reading it and checking off the Lee equipment I've retired, junked or traded off at a loss, I decided that Lee isn't getting any more of my money.

For a very accurate book review:
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/lee.html

Bye
Jack

[ 02-25-2003, 09:15: Message edited by: JackM ]

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Very enlightening article. I think I'll pass on this one.
lar.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Marsh, the 'author' of the 'review', really vents nothing but a bitch session per this 'review'. Yes, the book is less than worth reading, but there's a few items-- albeit of merit I dunno. The four squares method of determining a reduced loading per cast is one item I haven't used. Lee's 'mother load' of reduced chgs for cast don't get much play it seems to me. These are the mid range fuels-- 4064, 4320 etc, which IMO experience do work well.

But by and large Lee comes across as a midland tinker-er, not really original and creative in his reloading ideas or thinking. I really doubt he could write a good cast book w/o someone holding his hand and feeding him relavent copy.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by curmudgeon:
The March American Rifleman has an ad for "Modern Reloading, Second Edition". The ad makes this new book appear to be very bullet caster friendly.
It seems to address some cast bullet subjects largely ignored by most manuals. Anybody have one yet? What do you think? The ad is trying to tell me I need one! Regards, curmudgeon

Well curmudgeon I saw the 'new' Lee edition today. Save your money. Almost a reprint of the first one, it does have a section of data on cast bullets for the 08 and 06 but this I believe is data lifted straight from Hodgdon like all the rest of his 'data'.

This 'book' is a joke......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin, et al, While it's true that the 1st edition was mostly an "infomercial" for Lee products, the formula for determining reduced charges for CB loads makes it almost worth the price (I paid only $8 for mine). The formula works very well and certainly dovetails nicely with my chronographed results/reloading notes. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maven I'd agree that four squares method of determining cast loads per speed is decent. But I seem to remember it's origination from another source yrs ago... maybe my memory is wrong, but can anyone place it from material yrs back??

[ 02-27-2003, 14:52: Message edited by: aladin ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin, I forgot to add yesterday that the Lee formula is especially helpful when trying to develop a load with some of the more exotic milsurp powders, e.g. IMR 7183 or IMR 5010; IF you have reloading/chrono. data provided by the seller. ..Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote