Find
Notify
Tools

New to casting (470 NE)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
N
thats why i suggested to size firstto make sizing easier,, coat size again coat and size again...for the small number your doing its not going to take to long
I just stand the proj on there nose on a steel plate, so the BASE of the bullet is coated really well...i use forceps to take the proj from the coating bucket to the tray that foes in the oven
Any way you will work out a rouitine that suits you, but the bullets look good and so does the coating

Daniel

Posts: 1476 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have now got the rifle reasonably regulated with jacketed bullets. Now it is time to play with light loads and cast bullets.

A few questions

With Smokeless powder, With lubed bullets, can I just use card wad under bullet and then backer rod as filler?

In other words, can I avoid using lubed wads?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I have now got the rifle reasonably regulated with jacketed bullets. Now it is time to play with light loads and cast bullets.

A few questions

With Smokeless powder, With lubed bullets, can I just use card wad under bullet and then backer rod as filler?

Naki,Enjoying the thread congrats on the new rifle.
Why don't you follow Buckstix posts on his method of reduced loads,they seem to be very successful. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yup. I am taking that into account.

I confirmed that I can use foam backer rod and card.

But I made it easier. I just took 50 of the 340 gr Missouri bullet company cast & lubed bullets and boiled them 3 times to get all the blue lube off. Then I just powder coated them twice and sized them like I did with my own cast 400 gr bullets. Now I just loaded them with foam rod and Varget (AR2208) loke a friend dows with 350 gr pistol bullets.

Waiting for a sunny day to shoot again.

quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

A few questions

Naki,Enjoying the thread congrats on the new rifle.
Why don't you follow Buckstix posts on his method of reduced loads,they seem to be very successful. jc

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Naki, what color did you use? You know red is faster. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The rep sent me mat black and that is all I have. 1 kg of that powder will last a lifetime. I think 0.5 tea spoon does 50 bullets!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I use 5744 for all of my cast rifle loads.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki:

Like I said in the other thread.
Black pc is the hardest there is to
get a good coating.
See if you can get some red, blue, orange,
yellow or most any other than black.

Have fun!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote