New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unknown size of mold
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a 10 cavity mold at an estate sale last fall cause it was with a bunch of .44 magnum molds I wanted. I cast a few bullets with it to test size and I get .408" +/- .0005 out of all ten cavities. I looked around and its much to small for 41 magnum and to big for the .400 family. It has a flat point and one grease groove with a crimp ring. Not so much a Kieth style but almost. It has no markings on it and appears to be a custom mold by somebody who did not stamp their molds. Big honking thing and I was thinking about getting a freind with a mill and a reamer to cut it out to .431 for some .44 bullets.

So my Q is what cal could it be used for if its .408" +/- .0005?

I do not frequent this forum much as I would so if you want email me please wonderwolf@gmail.com Thank you for looking

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typically might be used in 40-72. Something like the Shiloh Sharps.

Who is the mold maker? H&G maybe?

You might go to http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/ and see if someone wants to trade you the mould for something you can use.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like its for a handgun though.....and don't 10 cavity steel molds run in the $150-$200 zone?

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any way you could post a picture of it? H&G moulds are very recognizable, and from what you are saying, it is most likely one of theirs, or possibly something from a "back yard" custom mould maker.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonderwolf,

How long, and how much do the bullets weigh? I might be interested.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wonderwolf:
I picked up a 10 cavity mold at an estate sale last fall cause it was with a bunch of .44 magnum molds I wanted. I cast a few bullets with it to test size and I get .408" +/- .0005 out of all ten cavities. I looked around and its much to small for 41 magnum and to big for the .400 family. It has a flat point and one grease groove with a crimp ring. Not so much a Kieth style but almost. It has no markings on it and appears to be a custom mold by somebody who did not stamp their molds. Big honking thing and I was thinking about getting a freind with a mill and a reamer to cut it out to .431 for some .44 bullets.

So my Q is what cal could it be used for if its .408" +/- .0005?

I do not frequent this forum much as I would so if you want email me please wonderwolf@gmail.com Thank you for looking

As one of the few people who actually collect bullet moulds I'd recommend not altering it until you know what it is.

There have not been many makers of 10-cavity moulds. If it is of a three piece design then it is either a Hall or Cramer. Pictures of a Cramer can be found at http://www.antiquereloadingtools.org/
Look under the section entitled RESEARCH.

H&G made 10-cavity moulds and maybe Hensley. These, however, would be stamped to indicate who made them and what the number of the mould was.

And SAECO made a few. These are very rare but, unfortunately perhaps, not valuable.

And there was an aluminum 10-cavity. Maybe even a 20-cavity aluminum. Was you mould made from aluminum.

A digital picture would be nice.

It would also be nice to know the bullet weight.

A 0.408 could be a 40 caliber rifle or, maybe, a 38-40. I'd have to look the 38-40 bullet diameter up to be sure but I think so.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been thinking, both the 40-65 and 40-82 were "Express" rounds, the 40-65 had a 260gr bullet.
Might have been that.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote