Find
Notify
Tools

linotype
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted
funny how things work out,found some one to sell me 210lb of linotype-.40lb melted into ingots.looking around today talk to a man that had some lino at his print shop got 215lb for $18.00 [Eek!] all in letter form.checked hardness of letters 23-26bhn on cabintree hardness tester. could this be monotype,just wondering because of hardness of letters,letters are 1"hx1/4" to3/8" thick,some of the letters are tiny,thanks sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean, sounds like you got a heck of a deal. I think if your metal is in individual letters that you have purchased foundry type ( I think ) which was used as hand set type. I used to by alot of this years ago and mix it with ww to make linotype but you have to remove the copper or it will freeze in the pouring spout of the pot. Linotype generally was in just what it says a line of type or bars or many other forms, not individual letters. Wes

Posts: 60 | Location: texas | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
thanks hammerhead,today i mixed 2-1 ww-foundry/lino? cast 1 bullet- lee 300 rngc came out at 22bhn,5 minutes after casting.looks like it might be great for mixing with ww or pure lead.will keep experimenting

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote