New
Find
Notify
Tools

a .358Dia. 300 grain gas checked bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
bartsche, how about the Lyman 358009? It's 280 grains and shoots very well in a 14 twist bbl. Mine is a 35 Whelen and I shoot it with 40 gr IMR4895 for 1900 fps. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
Sundog : is it still available ? Or is it one of the many obsolete moulds ?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately obsolete, but I finally got one after a many year search.

That said, there are some mold makers out there that could fashion one, or something similar. I'll have to look at my mountain mold blocks to see how deep they are, and if they could handle the length of the bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul, please do.
I'm semi-serious about finding a heavy cast load for my 358-404, hopefully 300-310g, but 280 is in the right direction.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 300 gr (wheelweight) 35 would be about 1.15" long, depending on this, that, and the other. Too long for the standard blocks but fine for the XL blocks.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of us from the old Shooters Talk got together and had david mos in Arkansas make us up amold very similar to Lyman's #3589/358009. We called it the #3589I for improved. The bullet was the same with a slight flat spot on the nose to improve smacking power when shooting game.
I'd post his address and E-mail addy, but I lost them when my computer crashed a while back.
In fact, if anyone still has the URL for his web site, I'd be mighty obliged if someone would post it.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, that is THE bullet I'd like to get my hands on to try.
How many molds were made? Are there any "on the market"?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<George Riedel>
posted
Hey Paul B

don't forget about the 280 gr .35 cal NEI boolit I sent ya from Akron Ohio......WW cast right at 300 grains, and fills up the case on my Whelen #1

George

<ben.>
posted
I have a 3589 (358009) also a six cavity Lee bator 260 gr which drops a 281 gr bullet. Both are for sale. ben.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The word I have is that David Mos sold his mould making to someone. Don't know the details. A couple years ago he made us 6 moulds, 3 singles and 3 doubles. No more available unless David has one stashed. I think he has a link on castpics. There's also a pic on castpics,
http://www.castpics.net/RandD/3589I/3589I.htm sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
BEN How do I contact you for details? Pack

<ben.>
posted
My e-mail is <ben1025atmsn.com> for information on the moulds. ben.

posted Hide Post
Ben, E-mail at ya.

Tom

Posts: 9 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Bawana-be I also have a self designed and built .358X.404IMP. that I want the 300 grainer for.
1. Is anyone out there interested in making the mold et all complete ready to use?
2. Do any of you guys want to split the expense to make a mold?
3. Once obtained will any of you cast and supply as cast or finished bullets at a fair price.
4. Is there another "absolute known" way to get the 300 grainers? Please reply I have to send some to Jurgen.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sundog:
It's "280 grains" sundog[/QB]

Would you be interested in selling me 2 or 300.Although I shoot a lot I have only cast bullets once. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
<ben.>
posted
Bartsche: If Sundog don't. I have quite a few bullets from both moulds I have no use for. I
might do it. ben.

<ben.>
posted
Bartsche: One thing that comes to mind is a 280 gr bullet won't stabalize in a 16 twist. It will handle a 250 gr. A 14 twist will stabalize a 280
gr bullet. The question is will a 14 twist stabalize a 300 gr bullet. This reads like a tongue twister. B4 you have a mould cut for you you might think what twist to stabalize a 300 gr bullet. ben.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Ben I'd like to take you up on those bullets.They may not stabaize but if I get a couple hundred I can try them out. Thanks Ben. You show no E-mail address. mine is bartsche@sbcglobal.net please reply Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben, I'd be interested in whatever is left.
My barrel has a 12" twist by the way. [Big Grin]

<ben.>
posted
Barche, Bwana-be: My e-mail address is a half dozen posts back. ben.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, you want to share any load data on that round of yours? Mine's still being assembled, so I'm starting from scratch....
2.4" body, 35 deg shoulder, 2.86" max case.
Should hold around 117-119g water.
I think it's called the 9x72mm Bwana-be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a mould that I am looking for to try in my .358 Norma Magnum!!!
Further information on leadbullet in .358NM is wanted!
Anybody tried lead in .358NM???

Posts: 30 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackpowder:
This sounds like a mould that I am looking for to try in my .358 Norma Magnum!!!
Further information on leadbullet in .358NM is wanted!
Anybody tried lead in .358NM???

I have this Lee mold, and I'm loading for my .358 Norma Mag.

Unfortunately, I have been spending all my time off moose hunting, so I have not tested this combination at the range yet!

My "260gr" mold drops bullets weighing 282gr when I use wheelweights.

I'll post after I've done some range tests.

Posts: 7 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bwana-be:
[QB]"Bartsche, you want to share any load data on that round of yours?" This dates back to 1998. .358 X .404 Whitworth Named after Jack Whitworth** an old buddy of Fred Barnes The Grand juction bullet man. Case length= 2.860" Bolt face to shoulder=2.275" Shoulder angle = 30 degrees neck length=.465" and tapers .390"to .392" These are reamer dimesions.It also has a 1/2" throat. It is built on a 98 Mauser with a single shot follower. I have measured the velosity of a 250gr. bullet at over 3150 ft./sec. ** will detail by e-mail bartsche@sbcglobal.net Roger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Information:
got bullets from ben. selected 5 that weighed 297gr. Used 66 gr. of WCC846 in my 358x404 IMP.Far from max. I'm not normally a lead bullet shooter so if any of you have some good load info or senceable approach to loading my wildcat let's hear from you. Only got 1 shot on paper and 2 in the frame while dialing in my scope. The holes were nice and round and exactly where they should have been during scope adjustment. If they weren't stable they sure were close. [Big Grin] More to come in two weeks roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Riedel:
Hey Paul B

don't forget about the 280 gr .35 cal NEI boolit I sent ya from Akron Ohio......WW cast right at 300 grains, and fills up the case on my Whelen #1

George

George. Where you been hiding. We haven't seen you on Dave's site in a long time. I haven't shot those heavy boolits yet. I'm waiting for my 1 in 12" twist rifle to come in. They're ready and waitin' though.
I hit a local gunshop yesterday and found four long discontinued molds to play with. The prize at the top was a two cavity Lyman #3589 for $25. We all know how long I've been lookin' for that one. Found a 100 gr. plain base 30 caliber HP mold as well. From the looks and markings, it's got to be at least 60 years old, and it was NIB. Another was a 250 gr, RN that has a bit of a taper to the nose. IIRC, that boolit has a bad rep for being inaccurate, but what the hell. I'll try it. The last one is a semi-spitzer 30 cal. that is nominally 187 gr. All but the 100 gr. boolit are gas check designs.
Fired up the pot to try and some of those boolits were a bitch to cast. Once the molds got really hot though, they cast nice slugs. The HP was surpisingly easy to get going as were the 35 calibers. The 30 was something else. I had to try degreasing it three times before it would even start to cast. Once it got going though, it was fairly easy to get good casts.
I see you changed your E-mail addy. I was wondering why you hadn't answered my E-mail of last week. I'll let Dave know you're alive and kicking.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote