New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special Order Lee .309 6-hole mold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I don't have a status update from Lee about when this mold will be manufactured yet, but since I
have a gaggle of checks from y'all, thought I'd better let you know if your check is in my hot little hands yet.

Here are the initials and Zip Codes of the people whose checks I have received as of today:
EB -64503
CC -74429
LB -37179
KC -97754
RT -97754
GT -57317
SH -30523
RT -92373
EG -22032
RA -15701

The checks continue to trickle in, so I'll update this list now and again. If you mailed me a check longer
than about 10 days ago, it might be lost, misdelivered, or stolen. If that's the case, consider putting a stop payment on it.

As stated earlier, I won't cash any checks until I ship the molds, whenever Lee sees fit to send them to
me. If you want a mold but forgot my email address, it's grumble222@yahoo.com. Email me and I'll send
you my snail mail so you can send a check.

[ 10-14-2003, 23:22: Message edited by: grumble ]

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What design is this .309?

Posts: 57 | Location: Far North Western Mongolia | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No BS, this is a 6-hole version of the Lee C309-113RF. Popular little boolit!

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumble,
Thanks for taking this on, please keep notes on how it works out...maybe we can start working on that 358 200 grain 6 holer with the lessons learned.

thanks and regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Lee Precision.

Current staus of our molds is that they should be produced in "two or three weeks."

Good news, huh? Beats the heck out of waiting "two to three months!"

grumble

one of us
posted Hide Post
graycg Tell me about this 358 200 grain 6 holer?????????????? What stye bullet are we talking about here??? I may be interresrted???

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
grumble Yes that is good news. Might be shucking Lee 113grs out like pea's in no time here before the first of the year. Yes very good news..

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Grumble
I've never had much luck with Lee molds, outside of using them for making slugs for swaging.
Do you have any sources or plans for setting up a group buy, of molds, for anybody else but Lee?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arky Pete,
Have you ever used a lee 6 holer? I hate the crummy single and double cavity moulds they make, but the 6 holers look more like something NEI made than Lee...try one, you'll like it!

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
arkypete, the short answer is "no."

Lee has the best deal going (that I know of) for group buys like this. While I agree that many standard production molds from Lee may have minor problems when new, it rarely takes more than a few minutes to get their molds "up and running." While I've never used a Lyman mold (um, I mean "mould"), it's my understanding that their worksmanship is no better than Lee's, and at twice the price.

From reports given by past buyers of these special order molds, the quality is a cut above Lee's production molds. Maybe they take more care with making them, maybe the smaller number of molds cut allows a sharper cutter throughout the run, or maybe something else -- I don't know. All I can say is that there seem to be fewer complaints with the special order molds.

And the 6-holers: here, even the production molds are good. Special runs, I think, are even better.

When I first used a 6-hole from Lee, I had a problem at first. When I preheated the mold, I allowed it to get too hot at one end, and the mold "bowed," allowing finning on the boolits in the center. I thought I'd ruined my new mold. Next casting session, though, I was more careful in getting it up to temp, and it's worked fine ever since.

I'm not trying to sell you a mold; but, if you're interested in this boolit design, I think you'll be pleased with the mold.

I think it would be fantastic if you could work out a group buy with another manufacturer. "More is better," IMO!

Thanks for the interest!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
graycg
I have tried the six holer, 45 acp tumble lube 200 grain or some where around there. Since I'm used to Lyman, RCBS and most especially Saeco I was distressed to have the Lee handles dissolve while I worked with them.
If I could find a source for handles the quality of the Saeco I suspect I'd give the Lee molds another try.
I finally used the Lee 6 holer for casting the slugs for my swaging until there was nothing left of the handles and threw the mold into the recycling bin.
I've not purchased a Lyman mold in 15 or so years, not since I discovered Saeco and NEI. The old Lyman 4 cavity molds that I have are great with the exception of having to wind wire around the handles or replace the handles with oak. The same supplier that Lee uses must have supplied the older Lyman handles,
Does Lee still have the replacement warranty?
jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arky, RCBS handles work on Lee 6 holers and CPVC pipe makes decent replacement handles for the Lymans.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing wrong with the Lee mold handles is that they only cost $15, instead of double that from other makers. But, I suppose if you include hydrochloric acid in your melt, you could make them "dissolve."

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Grumble

quote:
But, I suppose if you include hydrochloric acid in your melt, you could make them "dissolve."

Wouldn't that make for some interesting bullet casting? I'd be singing 'Pennies from Heaven'
Been casting since the 70s and I still have and use the same molds and handles (Lyman and RCBS) can't say the same about the various Lee molds that I've bought.
I hate wasting money if I can avoid it. I prefer to buy a product once and use it for a life time. As I said, if I can find suitable replacement handles, the major problem I have had with Lee molds I'd be using them now. Or if Lee will replace the molds and handles as I wear them out or break them, that works also. I can keep several sets of the same mold in the system, be using one, have one at Lee being repaired and one waiting to be used.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it escapes me how it would be possible to "wear out" Lee's commercial mold handles, assuming proper use.

But, if you say so.

The Lyman and RCBS handles will work with the Lee molds.