The Accurate Reloading Forums
Question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/46210548

22 January 2003, 02:37
<ParrotHead>
Question
Hi guys,

What are the differences in the Winchester SXT and the Black Talons?

I've heard some quote what we've all heard, SXT = Same Exact Thing, but I've also heard arguments that they're not the same. Anyone care to enlighten me on this??

Thanks,

PH
22 January 2003, 05:01
Hcliff
There are minor difference in the construction. The Original Black Talons when expanded had the petals which fold back and formed at star like shape. The media said it was a "cop killing buzz saw", "it can cut the hand of a doctor removing them from a patient", "the bullet is a killer", "it is designed to kill" etc. Lots of bad uninformed press. The Black Talons were in a couple of calibers that are not made in the SXT. The SXT has been minorly change for political correctness and other modifications. They didn't push the ads for these as much either.

Hcliff

Hcliff

[ 01-21-2003, 20:02: Message edited by: Hcliff ]
22 January 2003, 05:08
waksupi
What alloy do you cast these from?
22 January 2003, 05:12
475/480
hey waksupi,i think its mercury/lead 50/50, [Big Grin]
22 January 2003, 08:25
Hcliff
Those bullets are one of those funny ones. They got an out side not lead. They call it a coat, or a jacket. [Big Grin] I still want to find out a non killing bullet. the media won't tell me where to buy or make those at. [Frown]

Hcliff
22 January 2003, 19:04
Lar45
I tried a wax bullet one time for fireforming 30-30imp in a contender. I thought the wax wouldn't hold together and would stop in a modest backstop. I loaded my case with some 700x and seated a birthday candle on top, trimmed it off and chambered, then put a rag over the top of the bbl/muzzle break, a soup can on top of that and a 1" pine board on top of that and shot it in the basement. The candle went clear through everything and took out my flourescent light.
[Eek!] The wife was not ammused! The case fireformed niceley though.
Lar.