Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 450 question
 Login/Join

posted
I just purchased a 450 sizer online today, and I was wondering if I need a gas check seater for the crimp on type checks. I also bought a few RCBS moulds. Can I use RCBS top punches with lyman sizer dies in the press?? probably dumb questions. Thanks guys..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flapjack:
I just purchased a 450 sizer online today, and I was wondering if I need a gas check seater for the crimp on type checks. I also bought a few RCBS moulds. Can I use RCBS top punches with lyman sizer dies in the press?? probably dumb questions. Thanks guys..

Flapjack there's no such thing as a dum Q when a guy is starting out. Always feel free to fire away.

You don't actually need a check seater to install the checks on the shank. You can mount the check on the shank and run the bullet into the die bottoming it out to make sure the check is fully seated. A seater is advisable IF the check goes on the shank somewhat stubborn though. All the seater does is limit travel before the bullet enters the die too far-- limiting sizing the dia before the check is fully seated.

And I do believe Lyman and RCBS punch shafts are interchangeable.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, The 450 comes with the gas check seater. Mine did anyway.

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
If I'm not mistaken, The 450 comes with the gas check seater. Mine did anyway.

Yes the new ones do.. Lots of us have the older version sans seater.

Thing is-- I think the seater is so so w/o facing off the stem punch. The dies I seat checks with I have squared the stem face flat.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aladin, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions! I bought it off of Ebay, and the guy said he didnt have any directions with it... Guess I'll try to contact lyman. This lube/sizing thing is new to me, but I can tumble lube with the best of them!! Thanks again for the help.