New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belling the case for cast?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys with my 45/70 dies (Lee) it is not a problem as the dies are designed to bell the case for cast loads. What about my bottle neck loads like 30/30/ 308/ 8mm ect do I have to buy M dies for all of them or is there a other solution? Speed is not a issue as I am using a Lee hand press for all my loading I like the better "feel" I get with it. Jim

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will want to bell the mouths on bottleneck cases.

If money is tight Lee makes a univeral belling die. It only bells the mouth, it does not open up the neck except for the bell. Usually that should suffice for plinking loads.

An M die or equivalent not only bells the mouth but also enlarges the ID of the entire case neck. Whether or not that is necessary depends on a lot of things. Usually, the button on the case sizing die opens up the neck adequately.

For years I struggled to load cast bullets without an M die, using a variety of improvised gadgets instead. The M die is easier and better.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I did not know Lee made a Universal Die I will check it out! Jim

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
CH makes an expanding die with interchangeable pilots. They will supply an expander to your specifications. I ordered a .459 plug which after removal from the case leaves .458 brass. 1 thou is enough to hold the projectile firmly without it falling out. Typically 'M' dies are still too small to be usefull.
http://www.ch4d.com/

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info BAW, Like I said my dies bell for the 45/70 it is the smaller bottle neck cases I want to deal with. I like Lee stuff so I will check out the Lee die first if that does not work out I will check out your link thanks. Jim

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I use a tapered bridge reamer, similar to Lymans VLD case mouth reamer. With a gently tapered case mouth, I've had no problem loading cast in any bottlenecked cartridges. The tapered section is about 1/16" long, so does slightly shorten the effective length of the neck. I've had no problems with firing cast or jacketed through those cases.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jh - I use either the M Lyman expander (works well) or a 15 degree included cone setup to fit the Wilson 7/8-14 expander mandrell holder. The expander mandrells are good in that you know exactly how much you're expanding the case and so you know that you've got just the spring-back tension holding the bullet (and the crimp).

M expander works best - it is of two diameters and one is for tension the other for clearance. With any other expanding (using tapered devices) the case length may be a factor (when using a press) affecting repeatability.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JH,
When you use Lyman M dies, you only need one short, and one long, die body. Then you just interchange the apropriate expander stem. Bit of a PIA, but the expander stems are cheaper than the whole die.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

JH,
When you use Lyman M dies, you only need one short, and one long, die body. Then you just interchange the apropriate expander stem. Bit of a PIA, but the expander stems are cheaper than the whole die.

Hi bug

Can you tell me any mailorder site that sells just the explander plugs for the Lyman M-die? I do have both the long and short bodies, but I can only find places which want to sell me the whole works for each additional calibre!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only place I've ever seen just the plugs is with Lyman themselves. About a year ago they were $3.00 each.

Posts: 80 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Only place I've ever seen just the plugs is with Lyman themselves. About a year ago they were $3.00 each.

Thanks! I found Lyman's website, but no plugs alone were listed.

I emailed to ask if the plugs could be purchased alone... We'll see what they say!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this topic on Shooter's over a year ago and alot of people just use a needle nose pliers. I started using it and have had no problems

Posts: 44 | Location: NY | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote