New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubed and Powder coated bullets vel diffrence
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Spent a bit of time testing my cast bullets which were lubed and powder coated for velocity
Here are the results

WINCHESTER M70 3006
24 INCH BARREL
20 GNS H110
200 GN CAST BULLET

LUBED BULLETS

1 1677
2 1645
3 1677
4 1677
5 1651

POWDER COATED BULLETS

1 1676
2 1670
3 1601
4 1676
5 1675

375 RUGER
24 INCH BARREL
25 GNS H 110
300 GN CAST BULLET

LUBED BULLETS

1 1478
2 1566
3 1432
4 1475
5 1467

POWDER COATED BULLETS

1 1451
2 1504
3 1480
4 1470
5 1483

416 RUGER
22 INCH BARREL
30 GNS H110
400 GN CAST BULLET

LUBED BULLETS

1 1509
2 1495
3 1509
4 1510
5 1505

POWDER COATED BULLETS

1 1506
2 1511
3 1506
4 1521
5 1503

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I don't see enough difference to matter.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
That 416 load is very good very low extreme spread.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was there any leading from the lubed bullets.

Posts: 19326 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no, no leading at the velocity with lubed bullets...but at higher vel the leading is copious

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
no, no leading at the velocity with lubed bullets...but at higher vel the leading is copious

That has been my experience also.

I need to try some coated ones in my 460 and 45-70

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the best solvent to clean lead from the barrel ? What brushes ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always just used hopes and a brass brush could be better things out there.

I see Brownells still has the Lewis lead remover it works well also.

Now that I shoot all hard cast at under 1500fps velocities. I have very little leading to deal with and I keep on top of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
just fire a jacketed bullet...cleans everything

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For pistols and revolvers I used an impreganted yellow cloth. I think Kleen Bore "Leadaway"? A very small strip seemed, almost, to "grip" the barrel lead. I've no idea what it was made from. But it worked excellently.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
For pistols and revolvers I used an impreganted yellow cloth. I think Kleen Bore "Leadaway"? A very small strip seemed, almost, to "grip" the barrel lead. I've no idea what it was made from. But it worked excellently.

Sounds like what I used to use when I was shooting soft lead through my .357 mag.

It removes the lead alright but I think it might be a bit harsh on the bore. If I put a piece of that through a clean bore it always comes out black, which tells me it's taking metal out of the bore. Prolonged use could smooth out the edges of the lands. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
What is the best solvent to clean lead from the barrel ? What brushes ?

Get some of the Chore Boy or Chore Girl copper scrub pads or some of the course bronze wool from Brownells and wrap some in a bore brush. A few passes and you won't have any lead in your barrel.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2
Thanks . I'm beginning my adventures in bullet casting soon . It will be interesting.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I have cast and am powder coating now and will shoot this spring the following calibers:
4-bore 1900 grain conical
4-bore 1400 grain ball
8-bore 1620 grain conical
8-bore 1000 grain ball
10-bore 700 grain ball
12-bore 593 grain ball
600 nitro express 900 grain
577 bpe 650 grain
500 bpe 440 grain

So far no difference in accuracy, velocity or pressure and NO lead in the barrel. Within a month or 6 weeks the snow will melt and I will recover the projectiles that will show no deformity (due to the soft snow they were shot into) and I will note the rifling grooves to see if the powder coating stayed on the bullet/ball or rubbed off during the trip down the bore. I will post pics when. But, so far all is well and I hope to retire both my RDBS lube-size machine (up to .50 caliber) and my pan lube tray for .577 to 4-bore.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to your report Cal!
To you guys in Alaska, there may be a shortage of powder now that Cal is coating those big bullets!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I decided to take your chrono numbers and do some statistical analysis of them. In the tables below, you will find MEAN (average), ES (extreme spread) and SD (standard deviation) numbers for each of the 5-shot strings you fired. With your raw data, both the ES and SD favored the Powder Coated bullets, while the MEAN velocities were nearly identical (top table). The 1566 fps for shot #2 in the LUBED 375 Ruger load was far out of the norm, and heavily skewed the results in favor of the Powder Coated bullets. In the bottom table, I reduced shot #2 to an ES of 100 fps, and the results became almost identical. Unless the shot #2 high velocity was directly attributable to it being a lubed bullet (doubtful), then it must be related to either loading or chronograph discrepancies. I would say there is virtually no difference between lubed and powder coated bullets as far as the numbers go.

Did you notice any difference in the accuracy of the two different bullets? In my own testing of large bore revolver cartridges (44 mag and 45 Colt), I have found no difference in the accuracy of lubed gas-checked bullets versus powder coated. The powder coated bullets are, however, much cleaner and nicer to handle during reloading.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHELENITE
no real difference in accuracy, the coated bullets do not lead the barrel ,,,the only issue I have with powder coating is I have no control on the thickness applied and working with really tight tolerances ..nose riding bullets some bullets which are powder coated cause issues with chambering and pushing the proj back into the case , and thus pushing the base of the bullets below the case neck, which has its issues again
I have started using HI TEK COATING and I think its just as good if not better far easier to apply once you know what your doing ....so im sticking to my HI TEK COATING
Also cast bullets coated with HI TEK coating do not stick together....PCbullets stick together and that's pain ful!!!!

In fact if memory serves me right I don't think there is much difference between powedr coated bullets and bullets coated with HI TEK coating as far as vel goes

Daniel