Find
Notify
Tools

Outlawing of lead
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
The outlawing of wheel weights was a start a few years ago.I have a documentation that my friends son went to the "junk yard" They told him that he could not buy any without a smelters license.Now the word is that one of the past pres. ex. orders was to outlaw lead bullets + lead sinkers. I do not claim this as truth. I would like to know someones comments on the truth.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my scrap dealers cleaned up his place and is now a 'recycler'; he wont touch anything lead. Same story at the other scrap yard, nothing lead.
It is getting very hard to find.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a sheet metal shop + I need 50/50 solder for all the flashings we build. The price of it has gone through the roof (sorry) + it is hard to pass that much increase on to the customer. The 1st of this year I changed over to an LLC from a DBA simply because I could not continue to pay the self employment tax (a fine for working). I swear that the government is totally out to fxxk the working man;at least the last administration.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma, been that way for decades, punish success.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman, Thank God that we've had a change in leadership/ here in the states. Have faith! We've already seen a reduction of some of the EPA insanity. Hopefully the trend will continue, and lead/wheel weights, ect. Will become more available. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the Gov't mandates it's time to react. When they mandated low lead solder I bought the old standard lead tin solder to last me .The mandated type is terrible to work with !
When they mandated CFLs I stockpiled standard bulbs and LED types . Most of the info about CFLs is BS. All part of the Global Warming BS.
thumbdown

one of us
posted Hide Post
an old friend of mine who owned a local print shop here closed out and told there were several pounds of linotype i could get from his old news paper printer.... i got away with a pretty good amount in the short time i had to get it..... i gave my best friend and reloading/bullet casting mentor a 20# bar but i still have about 40 lbs in letters............. they make beautiful hard altho lighter bullets................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy all the linotype whenever I can find it. I use it primarily in my 44 mag. 250. Keith load that is pushing 1260 FPS. You know what this reminds me of was the "Blue Law" here in Texas that was repealed in the late 70's. For those not familiar,it was a law that required merchant's to not sell some items on a Sunday.Well the merchants got together + since they did'nt like losing money ALL decided to disobey;the reasoning being "they can't arrest us all" + also shut out merchandising. The government backed off. There is ALWAYS more good results in volume of participants.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sort of reminds me of when the Supreme Court ruled against Pres. Andrew Jackson. To quote Jackson, "they've made their ruling, now let them enforce it". Truth be told, all they could do was "make their ruling".

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Obammie's lackey did indeed ban the use of lead bullets and fishing sinkers on Nat. Forest lands just before the transition. The new guy in Trump's cabinet revoked it. I am sure we haven't seen the end of this.

Posts: 23 | Location: left coast usa | Registered: 08 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Star7:
Obammie's lackey did indeed ban the use of lead bullets and fishing sinkers on Nat. Forest lands just before the transition. The new guy in Trump's cabinet revoked it. I am sure we haven't seen the end of this.

Not true, FS, BLM not included. USFWS areas are included.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the correction. It was only some 80 million acres affected. Nothing at all to worry about.

Posts: 23 | Location: left coast usa | Registered: 08 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the camel gets his nose under the tent then there is always something to worry about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And there are plenty of camels in this country looking for tents.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a Google search. Couldn't find where the decree got overturned. More unconstitutional b.s. not passed by the legislative branch.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you vert much! And thank you Secretary Zinke and the Trup Admin!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a semi related executive order; my CPA came by today + brought me my tax stuff (+ a bill). But he informed me that Trump by ex. order,abolished the obamacare fine on your tax return.Saved me at least $700.00.Make sure your tax preparer is aware of this.You've got until the 18th as the 15th falls on Saturday + Monday is a D.C. holiday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
And there are plenty of camels in this country looking for tents.

Yah, like including 22 rimfire in the upcoming lead ban. Ignorance in our legislature runnng wild...I am astounded that the governor didn't veto this.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes ban lead from bullets, sinkers and wheel weights and all lead will vanish from the planet. Not much need for it once banned from these items, so it will vanish.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It is a round about attack on the 2nd amendment based on junk science. Pisses me off. If the California condors are dying off because of Sportsmens use of lead, then why have they spread to places where they never used to be before? Lying leftist pricks. Im glad I acquired a good stash of lead before hand.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget that one lesson of the Boer War. The Brits blocked the ports + set up Koncentlagers thus denying the Boers safe +/or any kind of housing as well as NO importation of ammo or components thereof.The Boers were so far superior to the brits working in their own territory that had it not been a war of attrition things would have been quite different,Not saying that the Dutch would have won from the crown,but it would have taken a bit longer. Just something to muse about. That Pelosi cunt already has.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, hell. Now what do I do with my 2,000 lbs of lead? Oh, find more tin and keep casting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There you go friend;may your life continue a silver stream.

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I've been slowly stocking up on cast pistol bullets for years. Acquiring them a little faster than I shoot them. The guy that casts them doesn't seem to worry about it. His business is running right along.

Living in Commiefornia for most of my life this thing about lead occured to me almost before it occured to the anti's here.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always good to have a supply,just because. I could go on a rant about Nancy Pelosi + her ilk(ad nauseum) but why bother.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out how I can harvest 2 tons of lead from a 1960's radiology office that's for sale.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that would be quite a harvest.Unless you're shooting BP you would need tin but so far that is still available.Hell,who knows;since the change in administration,the old laws may very well be null + void.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF there's a busy shooting range near you guys. Go out there and pick pellets! When I needed bullet metal scrap for my own casting that's what I did. Less than half hour I had several buckets about as heavy as I could handle.
Most of it was already cast by others making hard stuff. I didn't have to mix it to make it hard enough I couldn't scratch it with a thumb nail.
Just remelted to get the jackets and rocks out of it. Keep it clean and sell the jackets for copper scrap. I got $58 for a 5 gal bucket not quite full. That more than paid for the propane I used.

Another time when I first joined an indoor range. I asked if I could get some scrap bullets. "sure, all you want but, you've got to clean out the basement". Sight unseen: "hell yeah". What a blind sucker they caught that day!!

I worked for a couple weeks and ended up with 78 5 gal buckets level full of scrap bullets! That was back in '91 I think it was. There's still a dozen buckets left. Iv'e given 25 away, and traded quite a few hundred 1# ingots for things I wanted worse at the time.
I still have two large milk crates stacked level full of ingots: 728 per crate. And about 6 gallons of cast bullets made up, besides about 8 3# coffee cans of other stuff cast up over the years. RB's, REALS, of several weights and sizes.

SO, don't worry about running out of materials, just go where it's shot and pick it up.
Lot's of ranges are concerned about lead abatement. Offer to help a few times and take it off their hands.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I collect lead. It takes up very little room. Could be valuable some day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I'm still trying to figure out how I can harvest 2 tons of lead from a 1960's radiology office that's for sale.

Buy it, remove the lead, sell it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The outlawing of wheel weights was a start a few years ago.I have a documentation that my friends son went to the "junk yard" They told him that he could not buy any without a smelters license.Now the word is that one of the past pres. ex. orders was to outlaw lead bullets + lead sinkers. I do not claim this as truth. I would like to know someones comments on the truth.

Thank god for Alaska!! dancing

I can get all the wheel weights I want or may ever need. If I get bored I go the range & do a little mining Wink

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

Better yet charge them for the removal and recovery then sell the lead as added extra profit.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I acquired about 140 pounds of pure lead.

It is in the form of lead bricks used to surround radiation rooms in a hospital (x-ray room) Each interlocking brick weighs 28 pounds.

My problem is finding some pure tin and or antimony to add to my mixture.. I don't want to risk contaminating it with some scrap yard metal of unknown composition.

But anyway after adding tin that should yield me about 5,000 - 200 grain bullets. Cool

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank,
You'll need a couple percent antimony to blend in your lead/tin mix to get you in the 14-15Bhn hardness arena.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
https://www.rotometals.com/sup...30-antimony-70-lead/

Here is what you need to mix with your Lead. Google away!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe from So. Cal.:
I've been slowly stocking up on cast pistol bullets for years. Acquiring them a little faster than I shoot them. The guy that casts them doesn't seem to worry about it. His business is running right along.

Living in Commiefornia for most of my life this thing about lead occured to me almost before it occured to the anti's here.

Jeez, what are black-powder guys going to use for bullets? Bad enough to ban lead 22 RF, for which there is no good substitute. Our legislature is nutz.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote