New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 or 4 cavity molds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at getting some new molds in 35 cal. I have decided on an RCBS 38-150-swc or Lyman 358477 and Lyman 358429. On the 150 SWC molds both come in 2 cavity but only Lyman comes in a 4 cavity. I am wondering if there is a good benifit to use 4 cavity molds over 2 cavity, and does the number of bullets cast between the 2 and 4 make that much a difference per hour? Thank you for your thoughts.

Posts: 26 | Location: West Hemlock, PA | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About twice as many with the 4 cavity mold. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
grovere,
Them 4 cavity moulds get heavy pretty fast. So its speed vs comfort. I find I can cast much longer using 2 cavity moulds than I can with the 4 cavity moulds. I can make 2.5x more with the 2 cavity than the 4 cavity. Orygun

[ 02-13-2003, 10:01: Message edited by: Orygun Mark ]

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
grovere..Twice as many bullets...twice as many problems with the cavities.

Unless you need a lot of bullets, the 2 cavs are better than the 4 cavs. Usually I can sit down and run a thousand of either of those bullets in an evening with a good 2 cav and probably the same ammount with a 4 cav and it's a lot more pleasant casting with the two cavs.

After a steady diet of casting with the 4 cavs,,,you'll look like popeye in the right arm.

Still, there are those who swear by them so it's a personal choice./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote