New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thor's Hammer in the 45/70 Marlin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently had occasion to run a test to see if "Thors Hammer"...Lyman's old 462560 would stabilize in the 1-20 twist of one of the newer Marlin 45/70s.

Since there is no published data for a bullet of this weight that I could find (mine weighs 549 grains ready to load), I did some interpolation and used 25 grains of 4227 and 40 grains of milsurp 4198 (3031 burn rate approximately).

Velocities were 1100 something for the 4227 and 1200 something for the milsurp 4198.

Accuracy for the two loads was in the range of 2" for the 4227 and 2 1/2" for the milsurp 4198 (Caution...this is milsurp 4198 and not IMR 4198) at 100 yards. No signs of tipping were in evidence. I was actually able to get some to feed through the mag but more experimentation is in order.

Neither load displayed any signs of pressure. I beleive you can get this bullet up to maybe 1400-1500FPS with 3031. I'll mess with this later.

Many of you "speed freaks" will sneeze at these velocities. We're talking at least the equivelant of a 1 1/8 ounce shotgun slug here with darn good accuracy and better velocity retention.

I can't imagine a better bullet for pigs than this one. You Marlin owner/casters ought to keep your eyes open for this old mould.

Now, on to the 458 Ameriacn (458 X 2")./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at that bullet in the past. It's got to be seated awfully deep to get an OAL that'll cycle through the Marlin. Only drawback I can see.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beagle

I have the Browning 1886 carbine. I load the RCBS 405 gr gascheck for it over H4895. I have a set of William receiver sights on it. The rifle shoots really nice and I have really gotten to like the 45-70 alot. I've taken quite a few deer with it and that cast bullet and I might add more effectively then say my high powered jacketed rifles. How is the pig hunting up your way? I sure would like to get together with you on a pig hunt and out 45-70's. By the way I think that load you posted would shoot quite a few pigs lined up. That also might be a good choice for that real soft lead super slow load for shooting deer out of a treestand we discussed earlier here in the forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricochet....That's a point. Both the 462560 and the 45-500-FN take up more powder space than you need to devote to bullet space.

That's one reason that I don't think you can get enough medium burning powder in it to acheive much over 1400 FPS and I'm not really happy using fast burning.

I jest needed to see if the 1-20 twist would stabilize these long rascals and it does.

Not something that I'd shoot all the time. A 375HP or a 405 is much better for hunting./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Starmetal...I agree, the 405 is the best weight for all around in the 45/70.

No pigs up this way. I remember all the ones at Fort Stewart, GA when I was stationed down there.

That combo would be perfect for there as you normally couldn't see over 50 yards when hunting.

As you mention, perfect for a tree stand down in the swamp.

I sent some 320 grain .375s to a friend in Namibia. Out of a 375 H & H, he got a twofer on Eland one afternoon and the bullet passed through both./beagle

one of us
posted Hide Post
what you folks don't know is; my pal beagle uses those 549 grainers on squirrels and starlings out on his woodpile. Every year about this time, he gathers up walnuts for squirrel bait and waits in quiet anticipation to ambush Brer Squarl. They have awful tough hides and penetration is a must. In fact he told me and another bud that he was going to make some HP's just for bear and squarl. HAR! His next project is Frag projectiles with proximation fuzes for his 375 Winny......figures he can take out half a squadron...er, I mean flock of starlings with each round. Got to watch Sgt. Maj. beagle....never can tell what to expect next. I heard him say something about audtioning for Mail Call next season. har har har!!!!!!!!

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jumptrap
Reminds me of a time too many years ago to think about when I was out in the sticks shooting my Ruger 45LC. Had it stuffed with the RCBS 255 gr SWC over 9 grs of Unique. Was walking the railroad track seeing if I could catch any groundhogs out. Didn't see any but spotted this little bird up on the high tension wire. Very small bird smaller then a wren. Well I layed again the bank and propped the gun with my knees and took careful aim. I never thought I would hit it but damn I did. One second it was there and the next was like it just disappeared. No feathers nothing, just vanished. Told my best friend about it and he started laughing. He said he could imagine that tiny little bird on the flat nose meplat of the 25 gallon oil drum bullet compared to the bird. Guess I must have a little of that "Beagle" shooting in me too.

Joe