Find
Notify
Tools

55GR BULLETS SIZE/WEIGHT
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
pICKED UP 22 55GR FN gas check lubed cast bullets and found that the weight ranged from 53.7 up to 58gr. wow what a spread. I sorted to weight and reloaded 20rounds with a weight of 53.7 up to 54.1 and then tried to get a uniform seating depth, any where from 2.13" to 2.45.. reworked my bullet seater and it was in good shape. now the question?????
do you experience this much change in cast bullets? or are these junk.. I think they are junk..
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sound like junk to me, Dave.

Some of the weight difference may be in the amount of lube which does not bother me much. But that much a swing suggests those bullets were cast in a gang mould with cavities that varied. There may also have been an alloy change in the course of the run.

I never get spreads like that, but cast my own and try to stick to single cavity moulds for rifle calibers. I also do my alloy in batches of at least a hundred pounds so that when I add an ingot to the pot, it is exactly what is already in there.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have gone through about 100 bullets and checked them over good and there are several diffrent shades of color. Mabe the lead was diffrent or hotter there are dull ones and shiny ones.
I will scrap this bunch and see if I can find some good ones.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, see if the dull ones are the heavier. Many moulds do not fully fill out unless both the alloy and that mould are very hot. This gives you frosted bullets. I have not found the frosting in itself to hurt anything. It is quite possible that the frosted ones are good.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HIVELOSITY:
I have gone through about 100 bullets and checked them over good and there are several diffrent shades of color. Mabe the lead was diffrent or hotter there are dull ones and shiny ones.
I will scrap this bunch and see if I can find some good ones.
Dave

Try shooting some of the heavier ones-- might be interastin'.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote