New
Find
Notify
Tools

mold cleaning tip
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I cast and store my molds in the garage and to avoid rusting I allways spray oil on them. I found that if you spray penetrating oil on them and let them sit overnight that all the lead spatters wipe right off the next day. It beats heating the mold up and risking warpage or using a wire brush.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with lead spatters sticking. I do my casting in an unheated shop and store my moulds in an old ammo can with a gasket. Have a sheet of VPI paper in the box. Never had a rust problem with the ones I remembered to put away. And I don't have to cast 50 junk bullets burning off the oil before my moulds start dropping good bullets.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in a humid place with alot of temp swings and if I left my molds unoiled on the shelf theyed be junk in a month. I always have lead on the bottom of the molds from dipping them in the lead to preheat them. If I preheat the molds before casting I dont even have to clean the oil off it burns off during preheating.
quote:
Originally posted by Leftoverdj:
Never had a problem with lead spatters sticking. I do my casting in an unheated shop and store my moulds in an old ammo can with a gasket. Have a sheet of VPI paper in the box. Never had a rust problem with the ones I remembered to put away. And I don't have to cast 50 junk bullets burning off the oil before my moulds start dropping good bullets.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lloyd,
It's Newtire from cast bullet board on Shooters. Just an add on...If ya use any kind of a spray with a solvent, the oils get sucked out of the metal & they will rust overnight. Live in Coastal Calif where plastic rusts. Guaranteed Truth! Machinist's "way-oil" or equivalent is best.

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote