New
Find
Notify
Tools

squaring bullet bases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a method of squaring bullet bases? Most devices I have read about are complicated and expensive. I just got a new mould (Lyman 429421) and I would like to experiment with squaring the bases since this design does not use a gas check. These would only be for accuracy loads shot from a 10" contender 44 mag. Any tips or techniques would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max503:
Does anyone have a method of squaring bullet bases? Most devices I have read about are complicated and expensive. I just got a new mould (Lyman 429421) and I would like to experiment with squaring the bases since this design does not use a gas check. These would only be for accuracy loads shot from a 10" contender 44 mag. Any tips or techniques would be appreciated.

Max I would think the limitation in your setup is really the radius the mold throws per the bullet heel. If you have a nice, uniform radius I think your 'there'. Some have posted on the net per too sharp an edge on the bullet base being less accurate than some degree of radius. Your mileage will vary I'm sure.

Only bump I've given bullets was with a seating die-- the Lee collet seater. This system allows the use of a nose punch in place of the seater stem [just making sure it has some float, or up/down movement]. Then I mount a 312 dia rod in an 06 unsized case just to within .25" from the top-- being sure that rod face is square. I set the bullet on this rod and run the slug into the die to contact this nose punch-- varying the depth by how far the die is screwed into the press. A lite pressure/bump against this nose punch does flatten out my checks-- usually a slight rap against the die with a screwdriver handle is needed to make the bullet release from the nose punch [in my case].

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to be heard.... yea. Flood control was on and I stopped two attempts as I've lost a post before this way. Appears the computer thought differently...

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Aladin
I thought maybe you had the palsy like me after my 5th or 6th cup of coffee in the morning.
On to squaring bases.
What I've used in the past is a flat nose punch on the sizer/luber and set the depth setting so I'm a gnat's eyelash too short for the bullet in the die. I can bump up the base a bit, flatten the sprue and lube the bullet. Don't get real enthusiastic as you can break the linkage of the sizer.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The only upside of being a forum leader is I can erase double and triple taps [Big Grin] Don't know how much band width I saved by deleting two repeats and adding a new post though [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote