New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible .45 paper patched mold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
For future emails I setup an email which should not have industrial grade spam blocking. anything about the patched bullet mold reach me at elbstjoemo@yahoo.com

Thanks

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, six holers are the way to go!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an updated drawing (jpg thereof) of the boolet with the tumpble lube grooves.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/157573.jpg

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does it weigh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
they the mini lube grooves?

The smoothest bullet possible will release from the patch best. I would not compromise that with that ribbing on the side. Those grooves are not enough to carry sufficient lube either so they seem to be the worse of both worlds in my mind.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent-

Do you get intact released patches? In all modern barrels i've tested, the patch is cut to pieces. With smooth sided alloyed bullets, I have seen evidence of patch slipage and leading from non-obturation with less than full loads. The design is setup for smokeless use, not for blackpowder unless used in an express setup. It is also a little to light and short in bearing for length for black also, to have good accuracy.

In general, blackpowder use wants a patched bore diameter bullet seated out of the case into the throat/rifling with very little in the case while smokeless wants a patched throat diameter bullet seated in the case and snugged up into the throat. These two methods produce excellant accuracy. The above bullet could use more bearing area with less nose. IMO the nose is too long for the bullet length. The tumble lube grooves work very well for something for the patch to hang onto with smokeless and the grooves do hold enough lube for a dual purpose use for the 45 pistol crowd which would like a shorter nose length. If I have offended anybody, I'm sorry, but i'm just relating what I have found to work over the last 20+ years of paper patching.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Brent-
Do you get intact released patches? In all modern barrels i've tested, the patch is cut to pieces. With smooth sided alloyed bullets, I have seen evidence of patch slipage and leading from non-obturation with less than full loads. The design is setup for smokeless use, not for blackpowder unless used in an express setup. It is also a little to light and short in bearing for length for black also, to have good accuracy.
In general, blackpowder use wants a patched bore diameter bullet seated out of the case into the throat/rifling with very little in the case while smokeless wants a patched throat diameter bullet seated in the case and snugged up into the throat. These two methods produce excellant accuracy. The above bullet could use more bearing area with less nose. IMO the nose is too long for the bullet length. The tumble lube grooves work very well for something for the patch to hang onto with smokeless and the grooves do hold enough lube for a dual purpose use for the 45 pistol crowd which would like a shorter nose length. If I have offended anybody, I'm sorry, but i'm just relating what I have found to work over the last 20+ years of paper patching.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm probably gonna order one of these molds. I mean, who knows? Maybe someday I'll get a 45 Colt
pistol. I doubt I'll ever get into paperpatching, but again, who knows?

A thought on nose length: Would it be reasonable to make the mold a nose-pour design? If it were
a nose-pour, the mold could be milled down some, to both shorten the nose and increase the size
of the meplat.

I like the idea of the tumble lube grooves -- it makes the boolit useful in a larger number of applications,
and also increases the likelihood that the Lee order size of 25 molds will be reached.

Ed, I also like the way you're going about the design of this boolit. You're doing a good job.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whether the patches are fully sliced, first layer sliced, or not sliced at all, depends on paper and rifling. Using bp, you can certainly use groove+ diameter bullets and get fine accuracy. But patch release is critical.

My bullets always obturate however because I use heavy loads of black. In this case, however, you will be using a large enough bullet that obturation is not an issue. I have never ever seen patch slippage - not sure how I would see it.

What you need is for those strips or the inner layer or whatever to let go. Those lubes may work for smokeless lubes but not for bp lubes.

I think you are trying to do too many things with one bullet, but that's just my opinion.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I think that the small lube grooves will be pleanty for use in a pistol with smokeless. I'm in for a mold either way though. I don't think that LEE does nose pour designs as the molds are lathe turned.???

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote