Find
Notify
Tools

Re: RCBS 45-300-FN
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Sean I shoot this bullet from my 1886 Browning in .45-70. I have never taken game but on a good day I can hold a 6" 100yd group from sitting. They will shoot.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have cast and loaded this bullet for my Marlin lever gun for quite a few years. Alloy, wheel weights and an alloy of lino/pure lead, 1/2 and 1/2. Bench rest it will group 1-1/4 to 1-5/8 in. A good friend also uses this same bullet for elk and deer with excellent results. Dave

posted Hide Post
They shoot great in my Win 1886 lite, the bullets will cut touching groups at 50 yards all day.(I shoot open sights) I have not taken any game with them, but I am sure they will get the job done.

Posts: 8 | Location: michigan | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What powders have you guys been using to get good accuracy?

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding bullet under reloader 7 for a great balance of accuracy and power. I use 55 grains in my Ruger No 1 and it's sweet and shoots pretty flat for the 45-70. That bullet kills deer and pigs like the hammer of thor and isn't too tough on your shoulder.

regards,
graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Outstanding bullet under reloader 7

Off topic, but how are you guys loading and shooting your ammo to get those bullets under the powder? I've seen that several times on this board, and I'm wondering about y'all.

(I got "you guys" and "y'all" in one post there, didn't I?)

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's Scandahoovian, Ricochet. As in, "throw the cow over the fence some hay."

We tolerate "y'all," and "shuckins." We can't permit "youse guys," though. <GGG>

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I remember hearing a German-American say "Make out the light."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...and the Pennsylvania-Dutch sign under an inoperative doorbell: "Button don't bell - Bump!"

But what's this got to do with RCBS 45-300-FN?

floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
ricochet, use loading data off the internet forums only with extreem caution. recheck load data in your books, have your fire arm checked by a competent gunsmith etc. etc.. im not sure but some ruger number ones can shoot increased loads and have sepparate loads for them under some calibers.. ive sat at lunch with a coulple guys who during the winter as it got colder kept comming in saying they were able to get a another grain of powder several times thrue the winter.. they both blew thier gun up that spring when they went out to shoot in warm weather that spring.. it was minor damage to their gun, i cant remember but one may have been ruined.. but extreem power has its price.. dave..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Huh? Good advice, but must've been aimed at someone else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget:
"Johnny run the stairs up and look the window out!"

( I am just waiting for someone to complain about treating the poor Pennsitucky dutch bad with this words!)

A friend of mine shoots the .451 230 gr Lee tumble lube bullet with teflon tape on it ( At plinker velocity)in the 45/70. But it ain't no toy! I wouldn't be afraid to take a deer at close range with it. I can't imagine that 300 gr bullet at any reasonable velocity/kill zone hit.... not working. Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean, An accurate practice load for the .45-70 with CB's from 300-460gr. is 13gr. of Unique. My Marlin 336 will shoot cloverleafs with it @ 50 yd. with a variety of CB's. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote