New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOSE POUR MOLDS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just wondering does any one know of any mold makers that will make or make nose pour molds

Posts: 1476 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I think NOE are nose pour but can't swear to it.
Why do you want nose pour ,? To make soft nose boolits by running 2 pots at the same time ? One to pour the base of the boolit and one with soft lead to pour the nose ?
I've thot about that , but don't know if it would work .

Hoch http://hochmoulds.com

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CTF
just found two out fits which make them...HOCH and steve brooks...
im thinking of getting a plain base mold for my 416 so i dont need to buy GC...there about $80 /1000 in this crazy country of ours....so just trying to shoot cheaper as i shoot a fair few 416 casts

will need to post you a photo of the bullets my new mold spits out 400 gn 416 300 gn 375 and 200gn 30 cal

Daniel

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
CTF
im thinking of getting a plain base mold for my 416 so i dont need to buy GC...there about $80 /1000 in this crazy country of ours....so just trying to shoot cheaper as i shoot a fair few 416 casts

will need to post you a photo of the bullets my new mold spits out 400 gn 416 300 gn 375 and 200gn 30 cal

Daniel

Hoch make beautiful heavy duty nose pour molds and yes they do a perfect base but I would advise not going the plain base way for the large calibers. I had a Richard Hoch mold made for my 404 back in the early 80's and for what ever reason, I can never remember hoe it came about, I got a plain base 400gr nose pour mold made. Never got acceptable accuracy from these bullets with a range of powders until I devised a way of putting a gas check shoulder on the base and used 44cal gas checks which size down to .424 in my Lyman 450 lube/sizer.

A dramatic improvement capable of printing clover leaf groups with heavy loads and squib loads.

Yes factory checks are a bit expensive but worth it for the performance. I noticed without checks there was always little splatters of lead on the outside of the case necks. Would never go plain base although I suppose if you do you can always use gas checks if needed if you used my method.

R Hoch 400gr .424 mold

50m group with gas checked 400gr bullets in the 404J

Setup for spinning a GC shoulder on plain based bullets, can do about 100 or so per hour.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
CTF

Daniel

Why does it need to be nose pour?
Plain base molds work just fine ;-)

Tom at accuratemolds.com will do you one at your design.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two identical Hoch mould commissioned in the 1990s. Wasn't to the weight specified (290 grains against specified 265 grain) nor in nose profile correct with the supplied drawings.

I had RCBS produce two pattern moulds from the same drawing. This then was produced as the first one hundred of what became listed as their .455 265 grain Webley mould.

The two RCBS matched the drawings and weight specification exactly. The two Hoch moulds were a total waste of money. Never again!

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I had two identical Hoch mould commissioned in the 1990s. Wasn't to the weight specified (290 grains against specified 265 grain) nor in nose profile correct with the supplied drawings.

I had RCBS produce two pattern moulds from the same drawing. This then was produced as the first one hundred of what became listed as their .455 265 grain Webley mould.

The two RCBS matched the drawings and weight specification exactly. The two Hoch moulds were a total waste of money. Never again!

What did you do about the out of spec Hoch molds? Hopefully followed up and got your money back or got them replaced with molds you requested. Pointless moaning about something and not getting recourse.

I know when I had mine made it was by Richard Hoch himself as we corresponded direct but he did sell out at some stage later and his line of molds was produced by someone else, Doesn't of course change the fact that your Hoch molds were not to your spec.

In regards weight of cast bullet thrown from molds they can vary a lot depending on the lead alloy being used.
Von Gruff who posts here had a mold (can't recall the make) made for a 350gr bullet for his 404J and his bullets weights varied quite a bit depending on the alloy he was using. He originally used my mold to cast bullets until he got his own and then I got bullets from his mold for my 404.
The remaining '350gr' bullets I have from VGs mold weigh 365gr.

Posts: 3833 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was obvious there had been no custom made cherry but the nearest thing to it. RCBS did and weight and shape were exact.

Fortunately managed to sell the Hoch moulds to someone who wanted a heavy bullet for .476 Eley. But no excuse on the weight. The alloy was specified and they failed.

I bought six moulds, all six cavity, from Hensley & Gibbs and every bullet weighed less than +/- a half a grain of the specified weight in the alloy stated.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EAGLE
Intresting that you say you never got acceptable accuracy from a plain base cast bullet....do you think it could be because your bullet was not HARD ENOUGH /the base of the bullet hung below the case neck.....the other issue now is since coating of cast bullets has come into the equation either powder coating or HI TEK coating the cast proj base is now protected from the heat and everything else to a greater extent then it was before , and I think that's worth while exploring ...and that should aid accuracy
I think two posters on another thread who shoot big bores chipped in that they do not use GC there bullets are plain base and they run them at well over 2000 fps...no leading....but again those bullets are hard I would say a BNH in the high 20 s...just looked it up
On the big bore forum two posters HUBEL458 AND Robgunbuilder piped in with comments that plain base bullets cast heat treated and water quenched did not lead the barrel and accuracy was good

Daniel

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
EAGLE
Intresting that you say you never got acceptable accuracy from a plain base cast bullet....do you think it could be because your bullet was not HARD ENOUGH /the base of the bullet hung below the case neck.....the other issue now is since coating of cast bullets has come into the equation either powder coating or HI TEK coating the cast proj base is now protected from the heat and everything else to a greater extent then it was before , and I think that's worth while exploring ...and that should aid accuracy
I think two posters on another thread who shoot big bores chipped in that they do not use GC there bullets are plain base and they run them at well over 2000 fps...no leading....but again those bullets are hard I would say a BNH in the high 20 s...just looked it up
On the big bore forum two posters HUBEL458 AND Robgunbuilder piped in with comments that plain base bullets cast heat treated and water quenched did not lead the barrel and accuracy was good

Daniel

You are probably correct, I used Lyman #2 alloy as I did for other cast bullets I shot in other cartridges. My 404 has a lot of freebore, I think it was set up this way when opened up for the 404 cartridge and for use of the first generation monometals. This condition is probably not ideal for shooting cast.
Von Gruff shot bullets from my mold in his 404 and I think got acceptable accuracy but he did have his own mold made for gas checks. He also played around with different alloys much more than I ever did.