Notify
Tools

Bullet lube
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi there gents:

I like to know about bullet lubes.
For years I have used any oldLyman lube in my hand guns and rifles.
Lately I find myself shooting more and faster with cast
Have been useing Moly from Lym. and Alox from Lee so far so good.
In cruising the net I found lots of talk about LBT
blue and the famous Felix lubes. I also found that LBT is no longer available.
Through Shooters Talk, I found Felix and his web site. I also found the recipes very confusing. The people who talk on the line are much more advanced on the topic and talk about details which I don't have a clue of. Even in the recipe on Felix's web site I find that most of the ingredients are completly unknown to me.
I went to the drugstore to enquire about some of them and whatever can be found is available at a high cost, making the factory stuff more economical.

So my question is, is the Felix lube a so much better performer than say Lee Alox? And if so can anyone explain in simple terms how and from what to make it?
Regards, Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LBT lube is available again.
http://www.sixgunner.com/website/for_sale/lbt.htm

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin the Felix lube is good stuff but many of the commercial lubes do the same job. LBT Blue, BLue Angel, Paco Kelley's lube and another is Tom Gray's lube. I've used the Gray lube for yrs and I do shoot to above 2700 fps with an 06.

Often the lube isn't the determining factor when shooting cast for speed- usually the barrel Q is. Your allox and Lyman should make 2000-2100 depending on what the chamber pressures are. A lube's main job isn't protecting the lead/barrel friction but sealing gases from coming up the sides of the bullet.

As I remember the recipe for making Felix lube it isn't all that complicated. But for the low amount used on smaller rifle calibers I can't see messing with it myself. Lube isn't expensive on a cost per rd basis.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've used LBT blue, Appach Blue (Paco Kelley's lube, and the last batch was more green then blue), Lee liquid alox, and a home made lube 50/50 lythium moly greese and beeswax.

I haven't tried to really push the velocities, but I find the home made 50/50 to be at least as good as the commercial lubes, up to 2000 fps. I've pushed cast bullets 2000 fps from a 10" contender, and had no problems with lube.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul's post reminds me of a guy asking a similar Q some time back. I suggested Bee's wax and some percentage of synthetic motor oil to get just the right consistentcy he wanted. He responded and said it worked out well. Didn't mention the ratio though.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JackM thanks for the ad.

Aladin:
The main problem is availability,I live 200 miles from the nearest gunshop and they don't cary much cast b stuff as for lubes they have some Lym. and Lee so I have 2 lube sizers one with SPG for Blk powder and one with whatever I have at that moment.
I think it would be nice to have one lube to do it all and enough of it to last me some time thats the reason that I looked into making it myself also a USA order for say $20 becomes $45 Can.after the exhance and the endless taxes.

Paul H;
I think you wrote this before somewhere anyway I tryed the moly/beeswax mix I did not test it because it had the most horrible smell to it I had to throw it away ,the wife had me just about sleep in the doghouse.

Regards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As I recall in my previous post I mentioned that you shouldn't mix the stuff up in the house, as it makes a terrible smell. Once mixed it's ok though.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to have the name, address, and phone number of someplace back East where bullet lube could be ordered very economically. I seem to have lost it. I believe the name was GAR or Gar-something. Does that ring a bell with anyone out there? Thanks, Mike

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin: sorry, forgot to post the link for making Felix lube. Here ya go-- lots of help on from Felix himself if needed.

http://www.castpics.net/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul you are right, but there was still no way around the reheating for pan lubing it was just to much for me but thanks anyway.

Aladin: thanks ,I think you are also right on the help from Felix I may look into it again but for now I have to some Elk hunting.

Regards Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
MBK, the people you asked about are Gar, 590 McBride Ave, West Patterson, NJ, 07424, 973-754-1114 or 973-742-2897. If you want to order a lot of alox lube cheap, that is a place.

I'm new to this board, good stuff here.

Alox seems to work as well as any lube out there in the loads I have tried, but I shoot cast because I like to experiment, so constantly on the look out for something new.

Best to all.

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elblerinnv:

Welcome to the form and thanks for the info

Regards Martin