New
Find
Notify
Tools

??? .308 ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I load cast bullets for practice rounds will that be sufficient and close enough to the same trajectory as my jacketed round for hunting.
I intend to load with Lapua brass, CCI 200lg. rifle primers and 35grs. RE-7 for approx. a 2500fps. velocity. This is to be shot from an 18" barrel carbine, so velocity may drop 100fps or so.

Thanks, Charlie

[ 09-12-2002, 05:05: Message edited by: CharlieinKansas ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, you're going to have to back off of your velocity expectations, most likely. With hardened bullets, you should be able to reach 2200-2300 fps without too much difficulty. After that, you will probably start developing problems.

You will find your trajectory at these velocities will be close enough for practice purpose, and with a good meplate on the bullet, i've found it more than sufficient on deer size game, and killed an elk with a close range neck shot last year with the same load.

I'm using the Lee 170 gr.FNGC bullet, with Felix Lube, and 50 gr. WC 860 in my K11 Schmidt Rubin. Shoots into an inch or less if I do my part.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieinKansas:
If I load cast bullets for practice rounds will that be sufficient and close enough to the same trajectory as my jacketed round for hunting.
I intend to load with Lapua brass, CCI 200lg. rifle primers and 45grs. RE-7 for approx. a 2500fps. velocity. This is to be shot from an 18" barrel carbine, so velocity may drop 100fps or so.

Thanks, Charlie

Charlie: what bullet you going to use? And how hard? And how much range?

Depends alot on you-- how much your going to put into it and the Q of your barrel. Good barrels allow more speed than lesser ones.

Ric framed it pretty good though. Ya might just find cast enough for all your hunting.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using Hornady's 150gr. BTSP/interlock.
Charlie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin meant which cast bullet?

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
Charlie, I had a .308 w/18' barrel and shot cast & jacketted bullets with great success! I had a scope with a duplex crosshair. The jacketed bullets hit about 1.5in. high @ 100yds. the cast bullets hit dead on @ 100yds using the point of the heavy crosshair as an aiming point! The cast bullets were doing about 1600-1700FPS,with 180gr LEE.
I hope this helps
Reloaderman [Wink]

[ 09-09-2002, 18:41: Message edited by: reloaderman ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin and Waksupi, I don't know which cast bullets to use. I would like to find something comparable to the Hornady 150gr btsp.

Reloaderman, thanks but I am looking for a commercial cast round to use. I can't afford to dive into the cost of casting my own just yet.

[ 09-12-2002, 05:12: Message edited by: CharlieinKansas ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieinKansas:
Aladin and Waksupi, I don't know which cast bullets to use. I would like to find something comparable to the Hornady 150gr btsp.

Reloaderman, thanks but I am looking for a commercial cast round to use. I can't afford to dive into the cost of casting my own just yet.

Charlie as Ric pointed out at typical shooting/practice ranges the amount of drop is not significant enough to bother with trying to exactly match it [say to 200 yds]. From memory a 150 30 cal runs around .35-.39 BC. The only production mold that readily shoots well sans alot of fuss is 311284, which is a long 220 gr with a BC of around .37ish. Should be able to kick that to 2000+ w/o alot of trouble-- if that long bullet will fit your gun. Lee makes a 200 gr with about the same BC which has less bearing surface but more nose. That might work if the nose could be fitted to your gun.

To match the flight and BC of the jacketed slugs you need to go custom. For example, I have a LBT 170 SP1R spitzer which about looks like a orange slug. BC around .35-- and has shot very well to 600 yds albeit not quite as flat as a commercial bullet. How fast did you want to practice at??

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin, thanks for your reply. I would like to shoot around 2400-2500fps, this is about the velocity I'll be trying to make my jacketed rounds shoot. My rifle is of Mauser decent, it has the full size magazine for 8mm rounds.
When I think about it, is there any need for, gas checked bullets at these velocities, or does that have to do with the brinell hardness of the lead?
Thanks, Charlie

[ 09-13-2002, 01:25: Message edited by: CharlieinKansas ]

<reloaderman>
posted
Charie, at 2400-2500 you will DEFFINATLY need a gas check. You'll need a very good lube also. You'll see some leading at about 2200 fps unless you use a VERY good lube! [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloaderman, is this even something feesible for me to do? Or can I shoot these lead rounds at a certain velocity to keep from leading up my barell? I just want to try this for practice as opposed to shooting more expensive jacketed rounds.
Thanks, Charlie

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to get the thought of comparing cast bullets to condum bullets from your mind. Whole different animal.
The Lee 170 gr FNGC bullet will do just fine, and the mold is cheap. I guess there are suppliers around, I just don't consider that a viable solution myself.
Yes, you will need a gas check on these bullets, they will need a Brinell hardness of around 22 to reach the 2400 velocity mark. I use Felix lube at 2250 , and have no leading problem. I have shot some .338 at 2500+ with no leading. Also, no accuracy.
If you shoot a bullet at 2200 fps, or at 2500fps, there is little trajectory difference for your purposes. Seach online for a ballistics calculater, or do the math your self. Drop is 33ft/sec, and velocity can be compared to this. You may have an inch or so difference from the faster loads.

If you want to shoot unchecked rounds for practice, put 13 gr. Red Dot behind the bullet, and you PROBABLY won't get leading. Of course, you will only be shooting about 1400 fps., but it makes a fun, accurate plinking round.

<reloaderman>
posted
Amen to Waksupi!! I keep my cast loads to about 1600-1800FPS and no leading. This is where that duplex crosshair comes in. The fine cross for jacketed bullets and the top of the heavy post for cast. You can shoot them faster ,but you need to do a few things to prevent leading. One of my favorites is using Midway's "drop out" mold release agent as a bullet lube! I seat the gas check and just stand the bullets up on their bases and spray them with the "drop out". When they dry, they're much nicer to handle also. [Wink]