THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orygun Mark, this is Puncher, over...............
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Mark,
I gotta favor to ask, please.
Can you mike or caliper the sidewall of one of your berdan primers? You might already know, but I got an idea the berdan primers are softer or thinner or both. Can you help me verify my hipo....my hypu......my hepo......buddeee, buddeee,buddeee, that's all, folks! I couldn't help it, I had to do that [Roll Eyes]

Thanks, Bud!

Puncher

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Puncher,
The .217 primers measure .013-.015. The .250 primers measure .017.
Hope this helps you theory....I can't spell that word either. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I just calipered the sidewalls of 4 random large boxer primers. I just grabbed four outa' the primer can and went at it. The cup thickness on all four calipered at .014.
That being the case, I think I'm seeing high pressure signs in this milsurp '06 stuff I got. VERY flat primers with slight cratering now and then. No significant case bulging, but primers signs, nonetheless.
This stuff was originally machine gun ammo all linked together. About 2/3 of it is AP. The rest is ball. I've heard that mach. gun ammo normally runs a little hot. I might pull the projectiles and reload the cases with WC 860 or just pitch the cases and give up on the work involved in reloading them. I like the challenge of trying to do something different, but I sure don't need the brass!

Thanks for the help! I owe ya'!

Puncher

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote