New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 acp mold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've had very good luck with Lee bullet molds. I plan to start casting for 45 acp. I'm leaning towards a 200 grainer, maybe a semi-wad. Anyone here have any experience;recommendations with Lee 45s? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 39 | Location: S.E. MI. | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of there six cavity 185 gr swc molds they cast very nice but my alloy was hard and they cast .458 " . I use them for plinking loads for my 45-70 . I also sized some to .452 and they shot fine in my pistol .

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had better luck with their six cavity molds then the two bangers. I have a two hole .44 310 RNFP which casts great, and a .45 200 grain RNFP which doesn't cast worth a dang. As to designs, that would depend on what your going to use the bullets for. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 45 autos don't function well with short OALs. I think the 185 is too short. I've had good luck with cast bullets from NBC. SWCs. Loaded to about 1".250. These bullets are the long nose design. Thanks for the ideas. Jeff BTW, these bullets are for target and plinking.

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I've got the 200swc lee mold and it produces great bullets. I have shot thousands of them through my Kimber and always had good results. If your gun will feed swc bullets them I highly recomend the mold to you.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hay heaver, wich mold do you have? Micro-band, or the H+G copy? My pistols like that long nose of the H+G 68? Some of my best groups have been with the micro-band 158 gr .358 swc. Does your kimber feed the short 185s?? If so, how long do you load them? Sorry to be a pest, its just my nature. TIA Jeff BTW, .358s are for my Ruger revolver.

One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff

I just bought a couple of the Lee micro groove 2 hole"rs off a fellow on the net. 200 swc 45 acp and with straight w/w am getting around 200 to 202.3 weight wise which is not a concern to mee in pistol bullet. You have to seat them a bit shorter around 1.200 for my colt. The nose are a bit shorter than the tradional H@G 68. Had a heck of a time when I seated them at 1.250 the first outing. Seated them shorter and they function great in my pistol. Not really an accruccy test yet as I was watching my pistol to much lol. So far I am very pleased with them. Boon

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
try a 200 gr. swc,bevel base, if lee makes one. My lyman is the most accurate of 4 different mould i have tried.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 200 gr. swc. Feeds and functions better in most .45s and just a better bullet all around IMHO.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<halfbreed>
posted
Since I'm looking to get a 45 ACP, for cc, how does the Lee 230's work out. I've been thinking about this one for a while. the different weights that is. thanks

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I think that the price is the attractive part of the Lee molds. If a couple of molds look interesting, then get them all. They are cheap. I like that they heatup quick and start casting without wrinkles on just a couple of pours. I'm waiting for the BD45 6holer to come out.
lar.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments guys. Gonna go to Cabelas today. Dangerously low on powder. Maybe they have the mold I'm looking for.If not, its Midway.A lot of you here and in other posts, feel the six holer is better made. With handles its almost 3x the price. I only cast huge quantitys when my mothers good son comes for a visit. Twice a year. So for now, its a duce, 200 gr. long nose swc. Thanks again, Jeff

<Gunnut45/454>
posted
halfbreed /
54JEFF
I use the 230 TC design and it works!! Also makes a great plinker/Small game loads in my Win 94 .45 LC . My Ruger P90 just eats them up. They cast easy. For the price you can't go wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
54Jeff, If you don't find a suitable mold, I have a pair of the Lee six cavities I'd sell reasonable. Fully "Lee-mented" and well used. They are not the tumble lube design and I'd want to keep the handles.
If you're interested email me at bdallam@NOSPAMime.net (remove the NOSPAM of course)

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I've got the 200gr swc with one grease groove not the tumble lube bullet.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
54JEFF,

I have tried mainly 4 molds :
RCBS SWC 201 gr
Lee SWC 200 gr
one RN 200 gr

All the 3 are accurate but my favorites are the 2 SWC molds both Lee and RCBS.

Have tried some bullets RN 230 gr but I prefer the 200 gr bullets.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I suppose I should have mentioned in the post above that the two six cavity molds I'd be willing to part with are the 230 grain truncated cone design. BD