Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Fat 30 Tumble lube
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Okay, it looks like I have a pic to look at.
My Mosin's slug at .312x.314 they are a 4 groove with 2 of the grooves at .312 and the other 2 ar .314" Both of them are the same. Maybe they did this on purpose to try and accomodate the variences in availible amunition?
I was just takeing suggestions from the other thread and glomed them all on this drawing.
So questions.
Do we need/want all the corners to be rounded?
Do we need/want the rebated tapered base to avoid finning?
Weight?
Nose length?
Meplat size? How small can you go and not run into problems in a tubular magazine?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do we need/want all the corners to be rounded?
Do we need/want the rebated tapered base to avoid finning?
Weight?
Nose length?
Meplat size? How small can you go and not run into problems in a tubular magazine?

Just for me. NO to the rebated tapered base. Make it for a GC or make it flat. I like my edges sharp, too. My eyes won't tell me if a rounded edge is fully filled out. I also would like to see a much wider front bearing band.

A meplat as small as 40% wouldn't bother me none.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"NO to the rebated tapered base. Make it for a GC or make it flat."

Ditto that for me.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lar45:

I WANNIT! I WANNIT!! Preferably exactly as drawn, though I'd settle for a square base, or even a GC if the rest of the "gang" insists. I'm looking at it as a moderate velocity projectile to exercise my Mosin-Nagants. I DO like Pope's idea of the tapered base to eliminate finning, and the usual problems with lube intrusion under the base in Lyman/RCBS lube-sizers won't be an issue if we go tumble-lube. I'd love to see it "packaged" with a set of Lee push-through dies by thousandths from 0.310" through 0.315" to fit all those "fat thirties". And a tariff of up to $10-$15 to the designer and ordering honcho for 6-cavity moulds with the sizing die assortment - over and above Lee's base price - would be a bargain in my opinion; I'd be happy to send a check "up front" to grubstake the operation!

floodgate 1

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post

Thoughts on 30cal tumble lube plinker in 6 cav mold. It looks like it might turn out around 165 gns. The body will fit inside of a 30-30 neck. .309" OD as cast ish? .302" bore rideing section on nose and .2" meplat.

I think the .302 x .1" bore rideing section makes it look odd. Should the ogive just continue back to the front driveing band?

suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
re: dimensions - go to the dimstyles - set the overall scale factor to something (1.0 is default) much smaller. That will scale ALL the sizes but not the value of the dimesions.

Looks good. If tumble lube it should be sized to fit exactly to, say, .002 larger than needed. Tumble lube don't size well (tend to go off-center).

Two versions? With and with-out GC?

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Floodgate. I split this into two different threads as it seems some want a .309 tumble lube and some want a .315 fat 30.

As above but with a different nose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DEHillyer, The bores on the M-N's can vary quite widely, from .308" to .314" depending on manufacturer. The Finnish Nagants, e.g., Models 28/30 and 39 seem to be more consistent, with bore diameters of .310" and .311" respectively. This means you can use such off-the-shelf molds as Lyman #311291 and #31141 in the 28/30's and #314299 in both the 28/30's and 39's with excellent results. Btw, I'd guess that #311467 (Loverin) will also do well, but I don't own one. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45- Those are both interesting bullets.(And I am going to have one of those molds!) But I was wondering if you were still willing to help with the original .309 plinker or if you wanted only to do this one? I am not pushing in any way- just wanting to know your thoughts. Thanks, Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All! I am anxious to see the final design on this too! The Poison Maggots ( Moisin Nagants, I mean ) might have a new bullet! How big do the bores on those rifles run?

There should be enough interest in both of these designs to do both. Instead of a competetion- let us have co-operation.Would it not be wonderful to have bullets that work in 6 cavity molds?

Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi to all!

Lar45- This time I actually examined your drawings ( the .309 ones) and I really do like both of them! Can one have too many bullet molds? ( "Can one have too much of a good thing?"- from the Shakespeare play).
Dale

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you're cooking, Lar. You might go to .310 diameter for those pesky Marlins and NEFs since that's still workable in .308 bores and easily sized for those who wanna size. Otherwise, it looks BEAUTISIMOUS!!!!!!!

The CAS boys oughta love that one.

Count me in.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
.310" sounds okay to me. The center section will be Lee's tumble lube, but I think the drawing is a pretty close illustration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in for a 310 plinker!

great to hear it!

regards and thanks,
graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Put me down for a 0.309 - 0.310".

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's first cut with the real tumble lube grooves, FB and the front end of the 311041.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/168507.jpg

Now the fine tuning. Do I read you right, Glenn, in being the decision maker here? We need to go through feature by feature and tune it. For example, starting at the base, the diameter should be (_______) (a range of permissable sizes with .003 from smallest to largest) and the base should be a length of (_______).

Once through the tuning, I'll redimension and produce the working drawings for Lee.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Trk, the pic looks great to me. As I understand it from the last deal with LEE is that they do have a 0 to +.003" tolerance. So should we ask for .309-.312"? Do the 6 cavity molds do well with beagleing? They didn't want an as cast dimension, they wanted a as cut dimension, so the shrinkage will need tot be accounted for on the submitted drawing. So do we add .001"?

I think I'll measure the bases of some 30 cal molds, then cast some and see if the difference makes and sence. Anyone else want to do the same and compare notes?

TRK teaches AutoCad and volunteered to do the drawings. If there is enough interest, which I'm guessing there will be, then I can do the money collection, ordering and shipping of the molds.