New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing moulds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lee molds are less than $20. RCBS, Lyman, Seaco etc cost 3 to 4 times that amount. Do you get what you pay for here? Will RCS handles fit molds from Lyman and Saeco?

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by micmac:
Lee molds are less than $20. RCBS, Lyman, Seaco etc cost 3 to 4 times that amount. Do you get what you pay for here? Will RCS handles fit molds from Lyman and Saeco?

Depends on what you expect. Lee's often require polishing and honing but usually will cast a good bullet. Lyman has the best designs IMO but their blocks are a grab bag-- some are very poor Q. RCBS & Saeco get good marks for Q-- RCBS is tops in customer service.

If your the type of guy who demands the thing to work right off-- go for the last two I mentioned. If your price shopping and don't mind some tinkering, the Lee's will suit you. I currently avoid Lyman due to thin sprue plates and their bean counter two cav design.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin,
I'm probably easy to please;almost all of my molds are by Lyman.
Would you care to mention the reasons that make you consider them the least satisfactory of the "big three"?
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
micmac,
I have RCBS, LYMAN, BOND, SAECO, LEE, and some other brands. The lees are not as durable as the meehanite moulds. I find RCBS and Saeco to be the better moulds followed by Bond and Lyman. H & G are also good moulds. I really feel you get what you pay for in moulds. Lyman doesn't offer as many different moulds as they used to but that's the same as RCBS and Saeco. Bean counters dictate what is made/profitable. I think Bond had some very nice designs. If you check ebay you can still get some good buys using the buy-it-now.
As far as your questions on handles the answer is maybe. RCBS handles sometimes fit Saeco without modifications. Lyman moulds are usually loose on RCBS handles. It doesn't take much to make them work however. Hope this helps. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my favorites are in this order Ballistic cast (h&G) rcbs seaco nei lyman lee but I use them all. the lees can be a pain in the but but for $20 they let you play with alot of different bullets cheaply and if working properly they make good bullets. Believe me this is one place you get what you pay for.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by franke:
Aladin,
I'm probably easy to please;almost all of my molds are by Lyman.
Would you care to mention the reasons that make you consider them the least satisfactory of the "big three"?
Thanks
Frank

Frank: Thin sprue plates making the amount poured/heat cycle of the mold more critical for producing top end bullets.

The pins are too small and soft.

The vent lines often are cut poorly-- no venting means poor bullets. Poor fillout.

Bullet release often is poor. The cavities hold a bullet usually cause the edge galls the bullet surface at opening. Just a P poor bean count'n DE-sign IMO.

And this ancient #2 standard for dia. Some excellent designs go for naught if those nose dia's don't fit common rifle tubes.

Overall quality control just sucks..... They canned the old personel and hired burger flippers too..

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
micmac...IMHO, RCBS is the best production mould on the market if you want to start casting good bullets without tinkering and well worth the money as opposed to Lees.

The Saecos are good moulds but I've had a bad one or so. Lyman's are all right and I have a bunch but you always have to tinker with them some to get them to cast good bullets.

I've never had a bad RCBS.

The remainder are out of production so there's no use commenting.

Probably the best mould on the market was an NEI meehanite. Great mould but with the passing of Walt Melander....who knows if they will be back on the market and what quality we'll get if they do come back./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any 45/70 moulds they're not using that they'd like to sell? Send me an e-mail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
micmac,
where in oregon are you located. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eugene

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could cast you up some 457122 HP's and 457196's next time I fire up the pot. I'm across the river. I don't have a 45-70 but I use these in my 45 LC's. I work for the evil empire medical center. Orygun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Orygun Mark,
I wouldn't mind that one bit [Big Grin]
Send me an e-mail if you want to shoot sometime.

Thanks
Mike