New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pecos and 4759
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well Mr Pecos you were right. I did run some '59 in my new 06 barrel I designate the 24". Hard LBT 170 SP1R's with Gray 32 over 24 grs. Four or five into less than an inch at 100. Hard to tell-- there's two or three in one hole. I coulda threw a bad bullet left off the cardboard onto the wood frame but I'm not sure. Will have to get a magnifer out to study that big hole.

Now- this with a 2x scope with a switchy 6 to 8 o'clock wind which I didn't read for each shot. Bullet well made but now wt'd. I'll reshoot this load for a confirmation.

You were right. When you mentioned it I sorta figured it an omen and I'd better heed your advice. Thanks.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reshot this 4759 loading at 100. Muffed one shot-- still the whole six made 1.1". Take any five and I'm well under moa. 2x powder scope... which I enjoy shooting.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoa, Aladin! That is some seriously good shooting. You can be on my team any time. [Big Grin]

Actually I never got to shoot a great deal of 4759 in my career. I started with it and remember it shot REALLY GOOD and then it just disappeared. I think they stopped manufacturing it for about 30 years....or at least I never saw a can of it again for about 30 years. [Frown]

But back in the early days, it was THE powder for cast bulelts.

I'm very glad you liked it and had good results.
Get it while you can. It may go away again.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Jeff Bartlett (www.gibrass.com) has some milsurp 4759 for sale.
Hope you all don't snap it all up before I get there in October to get mine!
LouisB

[ 09-02-2002, 21:44: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TC. Don't let Aladin know about this. I think he's in love. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote