THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Size of ball bearing to flare 45 cal. gas check?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know the diameter of a ball bearing that would do the job of (just) flaring the mouth of a 45 caliber gas check?

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
akriet,

I've got one that's 1 1/2" that I've used for .44 and .45 gas checks. You may be able to get by with an 1". Mine may seem a little big, but it sure is easy to hang on to when flaring. A craft store is where it came from. You might even get buy with one of those marbles we used to call boulders when we were kids. A plastic mallet works well with either....Geo

Posts: 57 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
georgewxxx:

Thanks much. I'll try to locate one.

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also take your gas check to the hardware store and find a round headed cap nut that'll work too. That's what I use. Screwed on a bolt, makes for easier hangin' onta if you're fumble fingered as me. Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a great idea woody1. I'll try that first. Thanks.