New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mould ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Getting tired of paying jacketed prices and thinking of casting for a 38 S & W (145-150 grain), 44 Rem Mag (245 grain), 30-30 (150 grain), and 45-70 (325 grain). I have Lyman's Master Casting kit on the way. I will want to use gas checks on everything but the 38 S & W, and will stick with double cavity molds. My question is on moulds: Lee aluminum, or RCBS/Saeco/Lyman cast iron? I will want to keep it simple and stick with one brand so I don't have to buy different handles. Any other manufacturers I need to consider? You guys are the experts, need some advise...Thanks!

Posts: 77 | Location: W. Branch MI USA | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with lee molds but they do not last as long as the harder metal molds. all of the lee molds come with handles, the others will need to be bought. I do not like a lot of the bullet styles of lee, however as stated the ones I do like shoot well.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCHAPURA:
I have had good luck with lee molds but they do not last as long as the harder metal molds. all of the lee molds come with handles, the others will need to be bought. I do not like a lot of the bullet styles of lee, however as stated the ones I do like shoot well.

Lee molds can be honed to work and last like any iron mold. Then coat the top surface and plate with a good mold release agent and your in business. Called the Lee-ment as coined by me. I'll provide a link if anyone wants info.

The RCBS & Saeco's are the top of the line molds. If their designs suit your needs, that's the best purchase IMO. RCBS given a slight edge due to their outstanding customer service.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
I`ve used them both and am very satisfied ! Aluminum as a mould material seemed quite soft and cheap to me , but after using them I see it as Richard Lee says: doing a good adequate job without costing you an arm and a leg !