Find
Notify
Tools

new to casting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I had to start casting,as I had no other choice. I really did not want to, but I could not found anyone who made a 570 grain bullet in a .510. I am getting a custom made win86 in 50-110 from MR. Clay and wanted a 570 grain bullet,higher SD .313 with the 570.I sent a 525 grain WFNGC .510 cast performance to Lee to make the same design but in a 570 grain.I will get between 2000-2100fps with the 570 grain bullet as the 525 grain is getting 2150 fps maybe more.My question on the 570 is if someone wants to use one weight bullet for hunting everything,but may want a little expansion on med size game I. E. deer.I have heard that HC bullets can be placed in a tray of water and the top part can be heated with a propane torch this will soften up the tip and create more expansion. I have just started and order the book by Veral Smith to learn more.I would appreciate anyone advice on this as I am just a green horn with casting. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
HI,

I had to start casting,as I had no other choice. I really did not want to, but I could not found anyone who made a 570 grain bullet in a .510. I am getting a custom made win86 in 50-110 from MR. Clay and wanted a 570 grain bullet,higher SD .313 with the 570.I sent a 525 grain WFNGC .510 cast performance to Lee to make the same design but in a 570 grain.I will get between 2000-2100fps with the 570 grain bullet as the 525 grain is getting 2150 fps maybe more.My question on the 570 is if someone wants to use one weight bullet for hunting everything,but may want a little expansion on med size game I. E. deer.I have heard that HC bullets can be placed in a tray of water and the top part can be heated with a propane torch this will soften up the tip and create more expansion. I have just started and order the book by Veral Smith to learn more.I would appreciate anyone advice on this as I am just a green horn with casting. Thanks,Kev

Kevin I think if that meplat [bullet nose] is flat is don't make alot of difference per expansion when ya get to 50 caliber.... That's still on H of a big hole-- no matter how ya cut it.

I haven't tried the annealing method standing a bullet in water. If their long enough it should work. ? is uniformity.

Your project sounds interesting. Keep us posted on how it'd going. Good Luck

Afterthought... make sure your new slug will chamber etc using the OAL you want. Make sure that slug will stabilize to in the twist your using too.

[ 09-08-2002, 00:32: Message edited by: aladin ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

ALADIN, thanks for the information you hit another question I am wondering about.I will get a 1:28 twist in my barrel my gunsmith saids it will be better for the heaver HC bullets, if I were to use jacketed bullets and lighter weigh he uses a 1:15 twist. What do you think. Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HI,

ALADIN, thanks for the information you hit another question I am wondering about.I will get a 1:28 twist in my barrel my gunsmith saids it will be better for the heaver HC bullets, if I were to use jacketed bullets and lighter weigh he uses a 1:15 twist. What do you think. Thanks,Kev

Kev I'd need the dimensions of your slug. I have a copy of Wingryo and usually that's pretty close to real world. Need length and type of nose, and I'll see what that program sez.

Have you already got Lee locked in for the mold?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

The round is a 50-110, the case is 2.4 and the oal is 2.84 the dia is .510. thanks, Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HI,

The round is a 50-110, the case is 2.4 and the oal is 2.84 the dia is .510. thanks, Kev

No Kev-- just the dimensions of the bullet itself.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
HI,

Wondering why you've chosen Lee to make a custom mold? For what they charge, you could get a baliscicast, which is an orders of magnitude higher quality mold. Lee molds are great for $16-20, but are not a good basis for a custom mold. Balisticast can easily taylor the weight of their current designs, and has done so for me and a buddy at no extra charge, though I don't know if that policy still holds.

Anyhow, my personal opinion is that cast bullets behave best on game when driven at most 1800-2000 fps. If you are going for over 2000 fps at the muzzle, IMHO it is time to switch to a jacketed bullet.

As an asside, I'm waiting on a 500 Jeffrey, and will be shooting plenty of lead through it. I have an LBT mold that drops a 470 gr LFN. I debated getting a ~550 gr mold, but due to the Jeffries short neck, don't know that a longer bullet would be the right choice for this application. I have a few sample cast bullets of 525 and 600 gr, and will see how they function through the action, and on paper before I consider getting a heavier mold.

I have a feeling a 50 cal cast bullet with a large meplat at 1800-2000 fps will be a dramatic killer on deer sized critters, and don't think the extra effort of making soft nose bullets is needed. Take that with a grain of salt, as I'm a lazy caster, I use straight wheelweights, cast hot and frosty, dropped into a 5 gallon bucket of water. I find those bullets to be plenty accurate, with a minimal amount of work and expense required to make them. I think with cast bullets, the key is to keep it simple.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or for that kind of money you could get a Mos custom mold lathe cut to exactly the dimensions you want utilizing the alloy you use.

The David Mos mold is probably the top custom mold made today.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev:

Like to react to this,first you have a 86 build, I like the 86 I have one in 45/70 it is a rifle meaning it has the crescent butt plate and this rifle loaded to max has a stiff recoil.
Now I am not recoil sensitive afterall I shoot a 50-90 -338/378-416R and a 500As but yesterday I shot my 500AS with a 550 gr bullet at 1950 Ft/s the gun weighs 10.5 LBS has a brake and kicks hard (read very) the point is before you go out and buy a custom mould I would advise to size the 500 gr Lee bullet down to .511" and try it first.
I am sure if you get this bullet up to 2000 Ft/s in the steel buttplated 86 you will find it more than enough.

The twist:my 50-90 has a 1:36 and has a hard time with bullets over 500 gr the 500 has a 1:18 twist and has a hard time with the 750 A max but does just fine with 550'S.

Hope this helps
Regards Martin

Posts: 327 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I talk to my gunsmith today and the twist will be 1:26. I also will have a pac pad on a custom made synthetic stock to help with recoil. I should slug the barrel to get the best size for a mold, but I do not know to much about slugging barrels? Thanks,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HI,

I talk to my gunsmith today and the twist will be 1:26. I also will have a pac pad on a custom made synthetic stock to help with recoil. I should slug the barrel to get the best size for a mold, but I do not know to much about slugging barrels? Thanks,Kev

Being your smith is doing all that work-- he should be able to slug that barrel easily.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as a side point, I shot some faster loads in my 86, about 1900 fps, with 500gr. bullets. The magazine backed out of the action from the recoil.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Paul H, I did send them a bullet type that I liked, but I have not paid for any mold so I will look at other mold makes and go with the best one, thank you for your suggestion. Kev