New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H Cast Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm lookin for advice on a good cast bullet to shoot in .375 H&H. I like to practice shooting a lot, and jacketed bullets are getting expensive.

Any suggestions for a good cast bullet I can eithe cast myself or buy, in a hard alloy to load up to near or jacketed bullet velocities. I shoot 235 to 300 grain bullets normally in jacketed loads. So far, I've worked up a couple of load with Sierra 235 grain bullets to practice (inherited both rifle and a lot of 235 grainers, Hornady 275 grainers, and Sierra Gameking 300 grainers,, but hey won't last forever.)

Any load data would be appreciated, as well. I've got the Lyman manual, which has several cast bullet loads.

The rifle is a custom built on a Rem. 700 action by Howard Dietz of New Braunfels, TX. Barrel is 26" in a synthetic stock.

Thanks,

Ben R.

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
<marrfam>
posted
Give my a call or e-mail through the web site I just recived anothet 375 bullet week can discuss wich one and quantities if you want to purchase a few to try.

BBT Cast Bllet Sales

[ 09-04-2002, 21:34: Message edited by: marrfam ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the NEI 375-280-GC from <http://www.neihandtools.com>. Cast from wheel weights or back stop lead and heat treated I can push these bullets to 2400 fps with good accuracy. Ave. group size is around the 1.5 moa mark. Best grouping is with loads with the fast pistol/ shotgun powders that give 1500 - 1800 fps and 0.6 moa. For good loads above 2000 fps try 70gr. of RL19 (2200 fps) and 57gr. of VV N140 (2250 fps). This last load gave me a group of around 4 inches - at 600 yards!

I fire about 1500 rounds per year through my No.1 tropical, I never use jacketed.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. I like the idea of pushing the velocities towards jacketed bullet levels so that when I switch to jacketed bullets for hunting, the change in trajectories and recoil is negligible.

Ben Reinhardt

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I might suggest the Lead Heads 375-265G LFNGC. I have fired LH bullets above 2400fps with out leading. In total I have fired over 18,000 rounds of Lead Heads and no lead. I clean the barrels of my silhouette guns once a season whether they need it or not.
You can view the product at www.proshootpro.com. I'd be happy to send you some samples for the cost of shipping if you want. Please reply offline at dw7360@netscape.net.

Regards,
Mike
CPK Limited

Posts: 31 | Location: Huber Heights, OH | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second MR DW's suggestion for Lead Heads cast bullets. Excellent product. Good price and delivered FAST. He custom sizes too. They are the best commercial cast bullets I've seen or used.

P-45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The Lyman .375449 is a great bullet for the .375 H&H, although (I think!) it was originally designed for the .38/55. I use it with 60 grains of H4831 and a tuft of kapok on top of the powder to keep it in place. It gives around 2000 FPS or so, depending on your barrel length. Good target/deer load. [Big Grin]

<oneshot>
posted
Another great bullet is the RCBS 250 gr.FN.GC.
Cast with a rather hard alloy this one gives me accuracy around 1 MOA at 100 yards.
I seat this bullet out to almost touch the rifling , charge it with 36 gr.VV N110 or 38gr.H110 and a CCI magnum primer I use dacron to keep the light charge close to the primer.This will produce 2150 fps. Slower powders also work great but in my testing no better so why use it as it just cost more.
So go ahed and have fun with cast bullets in your 375 but remember to clean the barrel for copper fouling, as this is bad for accuracy with lead bullets.

<oneshot>
posted
sorry for the triple post i don`t know what went wrong

one of us
posted Hide Post
All...face it fellers. I haven't found a cast bullet that the 375 H & H didn't like. I've got bullets from 245 grains to 350 grains and it shoots them all pretty well. It's a great cast cartridge but a little greedy on powder.

My favorite's a 375296HP./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote